Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Does your SO like to shop?

Cafe AmyB
Win a $2000 gift card!
Yesterday at 2:28 PM
Summer #Fridgeworthy Moments Challenge! Enter to Win BIG Prizes! - CafeMom

Show us your kidsâ most remarkable summer moments! From arts and crafts masterpieces and giant sandcastles to epic wa

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:25 AM
  • 17 Replies

Or do you drag him unwillingly? My husband LOVES to shop.  Except for clothes. Then not so much.

My Husband Will Shop You Under the Table

Posted by Jessica Sick
on Jun 14, 2011

clothing hangers

The ‘Boyfriend Chair.’ You know, that plush seating reserved for menfolk just outside the ladies’ dressing room for men to take a load off, read War and Peace, balance the country’s budget, and take a nap while waiting for their lady to try on three pairs of jeans. It’s a stereotype because it’s true, people.

But of course, there are always exceptions to any rule, and so yes, there are (straight) men out there who actually enjoy shopping. They are rare, like lygers and Jimmy Choos on the Saks Off 5th Clearance Rack, but they do exist. I know this, because my husband is one of them.

You must be thinking, wow, what a lucky gal, she has a permanent shopping buddy, someone who doesn’t volunteer to clean the bathroom grout with a toothbrush when you suggest you need a new pair of summery sandals.

Except, I hate shopping. I hate sifting through racks of sequined pantsuits and lime green blazers to find that one gem, that one normal-looking black dress in my size that used to be $875 and is now $40. The thought of a blowout sale or a tent sale or any other kind of sale that involves colored stickers and giant mesh tote bags makes me want to pop a Xanax and crawl into the fetal position.

My husband, on the other hand, relishes these events. He loves sifting. He loves finding those fashion needles in a sea of cluttered, wrongly sized haystacks. He could spend all day picking through ... stuff.

The idea of shopping together starts off innocently enough: he suggests a trip to the outlet mall. I agree I could use a new pair of black heels (mistake #642: NEVER go to an outlet mall looking for something specific). I thumb through a couple racks, the one thing I like is missing a zipper or has a lipstick stain, and I declare defeat. Time to go to Jamba Juice!

Meanwhile, husband has not only found himself an Armani suit for 5 bucks, he’s also managed to find me actually wearable Dolce & Gabbana pants and Manolos with the coveted purple sticker (80 percent off, yo!). It's like having my very own personal shopper, and I must say, he's got the style sensibilities of a gay man, so I'd be totally comfortable sending him on a mission to find a cocktail dress for that evening.

Heck, he'd even find great shoes to match.

Is your man the shopaholic in the relationship?

by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryanneMac
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Hubby hates shopping, unless it's grocery shopping!

Cafe AmyB
Win a $2000 gift card!
Yesterday at 2:28 PM
Summer #Fridgeworthy Moments Challenge! Enter to Win BIG Prizes! - CafeMom

Show us your kidsâ most remarkable summer moments! From arts and crafts masterpieces and giant sandcastles to epic wa

by Head Admin on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:33 AM

LOL!

Quoting MaryanneMac:

Hubby hates shopping, unless it's grocery shopping!

simple smile  Amy 

iluv2read
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 12:07 PM
He loves to shop except for school supplies or clothes for anyone other than himself.

♥  ♥  ♥  I love to read. ♥  ♥  ♥

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jun. 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Lowes of course!

PEEK05
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 6:49 PM

I love shopping. DH will go with me but he does not go alone.

bamababe1975
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Ugh, he's like a woman, and I'm like a man, lol. He goes in, browses, picks up this, oohs over that, checks prices, tries stuff on, etc. I take my list into the store, go straight to the items on that list, compare prices only for the sake of getting the best deal, pay, and get out, lol.

BraythansMom
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 9:09 PM
Hahaha... unless we are at Best Buy he is so bored :)
But he's a trooper about going with me. I actually don't like shopping. Most of the time we just walk the mall lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.JuneDiva629.
by Member on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM

No he does not. If he is with me...he will rush me. So, I keep him at home. 

mom2b116
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:08 PM

no . he will go with me if i ask  but he would rather stay home

its great ill say ill go shopping for food or what ever alone if you  wash dishes clean livingroom etc   lol   works everytime

I'm a baby cuddling,  disposable diapering, formula feeding , non-co sleeper, pro-choice, rear-facing, first time mommy to a wonderful little girl.

Nov.2011
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 3:56 PM

He picks out more clothes for me than I do!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)