Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your SO like to shop?

Posted by   + Show Post

Or do you drag him unwillingly? My husband LOVES to shop.  Except for clothes. Then not so much.

My Husband Will Shop You Under the Table

Posted by Jessica Sick
on Jun 14, 2011

clothing hangers

The ‘Boyfriend Chair.’ You know, that plush seating reserved for menfolk just outside the ladies’ dressing room for men to take a load off, read War and Peace, balance the country’s budget, and take a nap while waiting for their lady to try on three pairs of jeans. It’s a stereotype because it’s true, people.

But of course, there are always exceptions to any rule, and so yes, there are (straight) men out there who actually enjoy shopping. They are rare, like lygers and Jimmy Choos on the Saks Off 5th Clearance Rack, but they do exist. I know this, because my husband is one of them.

You must be thinking, wow, what a lucky gal, she has a permanent shopping buddy, someone who doesn’t volunteer to clean the bathroom grout with a toothbrush when you suggest you need a new pair of summery sandals.

Except, I hate shopping. I hate sifting through racks of sequined pantsuits and lime green blazers to find that one gem, that one normal-looking black dress in my size that used to be $875 and is now $40. The thought of a blowout sale or a tent sale or any other kind of sale that involves colored stickers and giant mesh tote bags makes me want to pop a Xanax and crawl into the fetal position.

My husband, on the other hand, relishes these events. He loves sifting. He loves finding those fashion needles in a sea of cluttered, wrongly sized haystacks. He could spend all day picking through ... stuff.

The idea of shopping together starts off innocently enough: he suggests a trip to the outlet mall. I agree I could use a new pair of black heels (mistake #642: NEVER go to an outlet mall looking for something specific). I thumb through a couple racks, the one thing I like is missing a zipper or has a lipstick stain, and I declare defeat. Time to go to Jamba Juice!

Meanwhile, husband has not only found himself an Armani suit for 5 bucks, he’s also managed to find me actually wearable Dolce & Gabbana pants and Manolos with the coveted purple sticker (80 percent off, yo!). It's like having my very own personal shopper, and I must say, he's got the style sensibilities of a gay man, so I'd be totally comfortable sending him on a mission to find a cocktail dress for that evening.

Heck, he'd even find great shoes to match.

Is your man the shopaholic in the relationship?

by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:25 AM
Replies (11-17):
aneela
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 10:35 AM

he HATES shopping

CoolMommyofboys
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 10:50 AM
I think the only shop DH has been in the last year is Home Depot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Laura1427
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM

He hates it lol.

Barronbaby
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM
No he doesn't like to shop. I don't force him either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM

My husband will shop me under the table any day. I shop about every 2 years, and dislike it. It takes me 4 hours to do all the Christmas shopping every year. I avoid malls, and toss flyers in the recycling without even glancing at them.

Peanutx3
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM

No he isn't a shopaholic but when he does go shopping he is really good at it.  He has great taste in clothing.

usmclife58
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 1:16 PM

It depends. He likes to shop for fun things for him, or things he "needs" (tools, paint, etc). That is about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)