Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Would you let your 7 year old dye her hair purple?

Posted by   + Show Post

Courtney Cox just did. Would you?

Smart Mom Courteney Cox Lets 7-Year-Old Dye Hair Purple

Posted by Jeanne Sager
on Jun 13, 2011 

Courteney Cox daughter coco

There's been much ado in my house in the past few weeks about a certain just-turned-6-year-old's hair. Kiddo wants to grow it out like Rapunzel. I'd like to run a brush through it daily without hitting on split ends. We could keep on fighting, but at the end of the day, I'm taking the Courteney Cox approach to hair for the elementary set.

The Friends star was spotted out and about with her own birthday girl, daughter Coco, at a hair salon, where the 7-year-old had blue and purple highlights streaked into her brown 'do. The Daily Mail took its expected thwacks at the actress for treating her 7-year-old like a teenager, but I'd like to give Cox two giant thumbs up from the parenting world for a refreshing dose of reality. Repeat after me folks. It ... is ... just ... hair. It's NOT worth fighting about.

Aside from the dangerous (I was once asked if I dyed my infant's hair blond -- that would be a negative, you ninnies), there's little about the locks that can really get me going. So you want to grow it out? Great. Want to cut it off? Go for it. Otherwise? I'm with Cox ... let your freak flag fly little one.

We have ground rules in our house, sure. It has to be kept clean, reasonably neat, and for cripes' sake, will you STOP chewing on it? But bad cuts grow out. Scary colors can be snipped out. Even a hunk of gum can be fixed. The beauty of hair is that it's one of the body's few renewable resources.

A tattoo is going to mark their body forever and really should be limited to adulthood, when you can weigh out how it will feel to present the boss with a forehead that reads "F--k the establishment." Piercings can scar, and when it comes to beauty treatments, I'll direct you back to "aside from the dangerous" because the regulation of the "kiddie cosmetics" industry absolutely terrifies me.

So what does that leave? Hair. They can wear it up. They can wear it down. They can shave it down to the skin or stop cutting it for two years. And provided they stick to the basic: keep it clean and neat (and OUT OF THE MOUTH because I have found pictures of those kids with hairballs in their stomachs on the Internet, and it's not pretty), life goes on. By next week, the dye is lightening. The mohawk is growing out.

Whatever it is, they don't change our kids on the inside. Those split ends sure don't mean my kid is falling to pieces, so I'm betting Coco Arquette isn't suddenly acting like a teenager with that dyed hair.

Do you care what happens with your kids' hair, provided it's neat and clean? Are purple highlights really such a big deal?

by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
egyptian_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2011 at 11:37 PM
Sure would. My 4 year old wants blue hair and I'm just fine with it. It's just hair. There are many much worse things they could be asking for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tashia07
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 9:20 AM

My mom let me use hair mascara... My sister and looked like Cindy Lauper from the 80's!

mommybug77
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 12:33 PM

No. My girls could not wear it to school & we go year round so there would not be enough downtime to pull it off

usmclife58
by on Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I agree with the article. 

Dani_Lynn
by on Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I wouldn't let her dye her hair purple, but I did green streaks in my 9 year old's hair for field day last year with koolaid.  And it takes a good while for that to wash out!

Kara_2011
by on Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Purple highlights or any kind of multi colored highlights are starting to come back. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal, because that's your daughters developing personality begining. My 7 yr old asked me to get her 2nd hole  pierced.

Starleet
by on Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I dont think its that big of a deal.

sparkle11971
by on Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:43 PM

No only if it was temporary and if it was a occasion like a get together/party. something like that.

Sara.Worthey
by Member on Aug. 10, 2011 at 4:08 PM
We would. Semi-perm at that age only though. Koolaid or commercial since I know those work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LOswald0314
by on Aug. 10, 2011 at 4:39 PM
Not permanently but I see nothing wrong with using the temporary stuff, it's just hair and it's just for fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)