Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Would you let your 7 year old dye her hair purple?

Posted by   + Show Post

Courtney Cox just did. Would you?

Smart Mom Courteney Cox Lets 7-Year-Old Dye Hair Purple

Posted by Jeanne Sager
on Jun 13, 2011 

Courteney Cox daughter coco

There's been much ado in my house in the past few weeks about a certain just-turned-6-year-old's hair. Kiddo wants to grow it out like Rapunzel. I'd like to run a brush through it daily without hitting on split ends. We could keep on fighting, but at the end of the day, I'm taking the Courteney Cox approach to hair for the elementary set.

The Friends star was spotted out and about with her own birthday girl, daughter Coco, at a hair salon, where the 7-year-old had blue and purple highlights streaked into her brown 'do. The Daily Mail took its expected thwacks at the actress for treating her 7-year-old like a teenager, but I'd like to give Cox two giant thumbs up from the parenting world for a refreshing dose of reality. Repeat after me folks. It ... is ... just ... hair. It's NOT worth fighting about.

Aside from the dangerous (I was once asked if I dyed my infant's hair blond -- that would be a negative, you ninnies), there's little about the locks that can really get me going. So you want to grow it out? Great. Want to cut it off? Go for it. Otherwise? I'm with Cox ... let your freak flag fly little one.

We have ground rules in our house, sure. It has to be kept clean, reasonably neat, and for cripes' sake, will you STOP chewing on it? But bad cuts grow out. Scary colors can be snipped out. Even a hunk of gum can be fixed. The beauty of hair is that it's one of the body's few renewable resources.

A tattoo is going to mark their body forever and really should be limited to adulthood, when you can weigh out how it will feel to present the boss with a forehead that reads "F--k the establishment." Piercings can scar, and when it comes to beauty treatments, I'll direct you back to "aside from the dangerous" because the regulation of the "kiddie cosmetics" industry absolutely terrifies me.

So what does that leave? Hair. They can wear it up. They can wear it down. They can shave it down to the skin or stop cutting it for two years. And provided they stick to the basic: keep it clean and neat (and OUT OF THE MOUTH because I have found pictures of those kids with hairballs in their stomachs on the Internet, and it's not pretty), life goes on. By next week, the dye is lightening. The mohawk is growing out.

Whatever it is, they don't change our kids on the inside. Those split ends sure don't mean my kid is falling to pieces, so I'm betting Coco Arquette isn't suddenly acting like a teenager with that dyed hair.

Do you care what happens with your kids' hair, provided it's neat and clean? Are purple highlights really such a big deal?

by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM
Replies (21-30):
bramamber
by Member on Aug. 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Quoting BraythansMom:

Not dye that sticks but the stuff that comes out in a few washes would be fine :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LivinDeadGurl
So busy lately, I am damned near falling asleep sitting up. I think a nap is in order.
Yesterday at 3:54 PM
by Maranda on Aug. 10, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Quoting BraythansMom:

Not dye that sticks but the stuff that comes out in a few washes would be fine :)

This

mom2one2002
by on Aug. 10, 2011 at 8:09 PM

my daughters 9 now and shes had pink, red and blue dye that i didnt use the bleach first and now shes got blonds streeks..the pink and the blonde are the 2 that are real hair dye...the reasons for them were the pink was when she first had to cut her hair short she cried for days that she looked like a boy..so we added a touch of pink which made her feel like a girl again...now with the blonde i felt that she doesn't get to do all the normal things a kid does due to no money,,no family or transportation so i feel that the least i can do is let her add the little colour to her hair...its a long story but she's had a rough life so far and she miss's out on so much that she doesn't even really ask for much except to have alittle colour..so i figure a few strands here and there is just fine for the age but not doing their hole head..but there is hair dye thats safe for kids that wash's out in like 10 wash's and it comes in all the funky colours...all you do is not use the bleach part first...

seraphimsong
by on Aug. 11, 2011 at 12:31 AM
I wouldnt mind. Its just hair. I leave it up to dd how she wants it. She wants to grow it out-sure! She wants to chop it off- fine! She wants 6 bows in random spots - whatever. Sometimes it looks silly sometimes really cute. I like her to show her personality and style.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ecagle
by on Aug. 11, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I'd be fine with stuff that washed out after a few washes!  I think kids should have some say about their hair...it's JUST hair and it always grows out (or can be cut)

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Aug. 11, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Nope

Peanutx3
by on Aug. 11, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Maybe if it was temporary color. 

USAFamily
by on Aug. 12, 2011 at 3:02 PM

I would never let my 7 year old dye her hair any color. I think it's important to love your self the way you are adn I don't think teaching our kids to cosmetically change themselves in elementary school sets them up with a good self image.

paganbaby
by on Aug. 12, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I dyed my hair purple when I was 14.

Would I let my kids dye their hair at 7? Eh as long as the school doesn't care neither do I.

paganbaby
by on Aug. 12, 2011 at 7:55 PM

My dd is 4. I'd love for her to grow her hair out but she insists at keeping it short above her shoulders. It's her hair so I don't fight about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN