Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Suri Cruise's tree house. Over the top or fabulous?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 2:11 PM
  • 16 Replies

Suri Cruise's $100,000 Tree House Is Worth Every Penny

Posted by Maressa Brown
on Jun 16, 2011 

suri cruise treehouse

When In Touch reported that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes bought 5-year-old daughter Suri a $100,000 tree house, the initial reaction from most people was likely one of shock, disgust, revulsion, etc. How anyone could think a mini-estate for a kiddo "complete with running water, electricity, as well as shag carpeting" is a great way to spend $100K seems kind of mind-boggling at first. But after considering it for a moment or two, it doesn't seem that crazy. Hear me out.

First of all, in relation to the mansion TomKat must live in and the moolah they have to their names, spending $100K on a mini-house for their daughter probably makes sense. And in defense of spending like this on a tree house at all, let me tell you -- it was one thing I would have been over-the-moon for when I was Suri's age.

Actually, there were a few homey things I coveted as a kid: A window seat, where I could look out at our front or backyard while reading my Babysitter's Club and Sweet Valley High books (I was obsessed), a canopy bed (I was also obsessed with this, and heartbroken when my mom told me it was "bad Feng Shui"), and a tree house.

I actually don't know if I ever expressed my desire to have a tree house. I just know I loved hanging out in the "fort" my guy friends had built in one of their backyards, and when I saw what the girls in Now & Then had, I was super-jealous.

Why? A tree house is a place to get away from the grown-ups when you're a kid and to really own any kind of make-believe game. PLUS, I would think as a parent, depending on the child's age, it's probably nice to know they're having fun with friends or, in Suri's case, a nanny or two or three.

If used properly, Suri's tree house will probably afford her a lot of awesome good-time memories and bolster her imagination. That, to me, seems worth what her uber-rich Hollywood parents spent on her mini-mansion in the sky.

Are you pro- or anti-tree house?

by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jun. 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM

wow!

Nov.2011
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 3:25 PM

i had an old rusted swingset with only one one swing and a slide!
id say over the top, but if you have the money i guess why not?

MamaB5
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I wouldn't say anything is over the top when it comes to making memories that your children will remember FOREVER! If I had the money I would do that for sure! I know my kids would definitely make use of that tree house! Hell I would play in that thing! LOL

the3Rs
by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 8:53 AM
If they can afford it, why not?!

I had 2 of the 3 things the writer wished for. Canopy bed (shadows from the nightlight looked like supernatural beings coming for me) and a tree house made by my dad (it was pretty high up & my older brother dangled me out the window). Ahhh...memories...LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.JuneDiva629.
by Member on Jun. 19, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Over the top.

MrsWilmot
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM
I say if you can afford it, why not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2011 at 10:55 PM
They can afford it and it makes their kid happy so why not?

On a side note, the author and I have quite a bit in common. Canopies, window seats, S. V. H and Babysitters club and of course Now and Then. Reading that made me smile.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 12:37 PM

They paid for it out of their own pockets so all the more power to them

sxymomma20
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM

heck i would live out there if i was her lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN