Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

School asked 12 year olds what birth control they use

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 7:35 PM
  • 20 Replies

Thoughts?

Principal Has Lame Excuse for Giving Explicit Sex Survey to Middle School Kids

Posted by Jenny Erikson
on Jun 18, 2011 

blackboard

Some Massachusetts parents are upset after learning that their adolescent children participated in an in-class survey that asked a series of explicit questions regarding sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

Ok, not really that last one.

One of the questions was “What method of birth control do you use?” with withdrawal listed as one of the options. What twelve-year-old even knows what withdrawal means, let alone how to use it as (ineffective) birth control? Other questions on the survey probed kids on the frequency of their sexual activity, the kinds of drugs they’d experimented with, and whether or not they ever had suicidal thoughts. 

If one of the students wrote, “Well I didn’t before I was forced to fill out this embarrassing questionnaire,” in answer to the suicide question, I will buy him or her ice cream for a year. Because that’s what kids should be doing – eating ice cream, climbing trees, complaining about homework, and nervously giggling in the presence of the opposite sex. Not filling out sex surveys.

School officials say they had no choice as to whether or not to administer the survey, as it was tied to a federal grant. 

Principal Fran Thomas told Fox News Radio that students were indeed given the survey – and admits it was graphic. But Thomas said the school has nothing to do with the content and they were required to administer the survey to fulfill a grant requirement.

“I can take no responsibility for what’s on that survey,” Thomas said. “It’s not generated by the school system.”

Thomas said the survey was funded by a federal grant and administered by LUK Inc., a local social services agency -- in coordination with the Centers for Disease Control.

Baloney. The government made me do it is the lamest excuse ever. To quote moms everywhere: If the government told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it? The principal could have told the LUK Inc. no, and if the grant money was withheld, the local news team could have been alled in faster than you can say STD prevention.

As parents, we count on our schools to keep an eye out for our kids while they are there. That includes protecting them from graphic material that isn’t appropriate for their age group. It also includes looking for signs that a student may be experimenting with sex or drugs, and scheduling a meeting with the kid’s parents to determine if they’ve noticed a change in behavior as well.

Parents and teachers need to work in better harmony to create the best learning environment for our children. One that doesn’t include asking middle-schoolers how often they engage in oral sex.

by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jun. 18, 2011 at 9:52 PM

omgosh!!!!

Kyrthanna
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM

That's absurd.  Grant or no grant, since it had to do with sexuality, they should have had to send home a form that let parents know they were doing it and gave parents the ability to opt out of it (just like they have to do for the regular sex ed once a year boys in one room girls in another 'facts of life' talks) beforehand.  As for it being graphic so it had no place there, I agree - why the school didn't review it first and challenge it is beyond me, when they're removing things like "Tom Sawyer" and other literary classics for things that are no longer considered politically correct. eye rolling

MrsWilmot
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 10:42 PM
Omg! I would be appalled if my 11 (almost 12) y/o dd was asked to fill one of these out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2011 at 10:57 PM
Wow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have someone job over that. I have a 12 year old DD & that would so not fly in our house. I went with her to her puberty class in 5th grade so I knew exactly what was said.

I would also pull my child from a school who felt it was so hard up for money that it would use my child in that way for a grant.

MsBS26
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 3:24 PM

no way!!! not apropreate!!

spunkyldy
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I don't think it was appropriate however I do know many 12-14 yr olds who are quite active and have bizarre ideas of what will keep them from getting pregnant.  One of my neighborhood kids told me that if a boy runs his penis under warm water before they have sex then that would stop her from getting pregnant and this is why they have sex in her dad's hot tub.  Apparently many kids aren't getting the talk at home because many parents don't think they even know what sex is.  when I was 12 I was playing with barbies and thought boys had cooties but unfortunately that's just not the place we live today.  And many of them know the pull out method and think that its fool proof.

i.heart.myboys
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Why is it someones business if a 12 year old is on birth control. Sometimes I wonder what this world is coming too!

Mrs.Gallegos649
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 1:25 AM
This is the type of stuff that makes me terrified to send my kids off to school oe day! That and a whole other slew of terrifying things. > <
~
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 1:52 AM
Geez! At twelve, most are just figuring out PUBERTY! Deodorant. , period , developing bodies, etc. this was ridiculous , I 'd cause a stink , too !
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN