Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Did you have or did you consider a homebirth?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 12:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

Did you have or did you consider a homebirth?

Celebrity Homebirths Make Me Feel Like a Loser

on Jun 20, 2011 

I never thought I could be one-upped on my hippy, natural birth during which I both burned incense AND listened to Enya (true story), but it was in a hospital, which officially means I have been "out hippied" by the likes of many celebrities, including Nick Hexum who last week delivered his OWN BABY at home.

The baby came fast and furious so their planned homebirth with a midwife became a sudden one with only dad there to catch her. So, yeah. No one can out-hippy him. But of course, he is not the only celeb to plan a home birth.

In fact, it seems the latest trend in Hollywood is not to deliver at the hospital. And why not?

These celebs have beautiful homes with plenty of room for birthing tubs and money that most of us don't have for midwives who are not covered by insurance (because it is a home birth). Think of Mayim Bialik and Gisele Bundchen and Pamela Anderson and Cindy Crawford and Alyson Hannigan and many, many more.

And as celebs start to be more open about home birth, it seems more and more "real" people are doing it as well. And that is great. Natural birth, unaided by drugs or doctor interventions is a completely viable and wonderful option for most women.

Personally, I did not choose it because I wanted the little spa trip to the hospital and my house is not very restful, but most normal people find their house to be a more peaceful, relaxing place to give birth.

Mad props should be given to the natural birth advocates who are out there proving that birth can be an uncomplicated, relatively peaceful experience. That said, it is not a trend. Every person should do the birth that is best for them and I have started to notice among my friends the teensiest bit of competition, as in:

"Oh you had an unmediated hospital birth? WELL, I had a home birth." And then:

"Oh you had a home birth? Well I HAD an unassisted water birth!" And then:

"Oh you had an unassisted water birth? Well I birthed in the woods with only the wolves to guide me."

You get the drift. At a certain point, we need to get past the competition and the comparison and the silly one-ups and realize we are all doing the same thing: Trying to give birth to healthy, happy babies in healthy and happy ways. There is no one right way to do that.

by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommybug77
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Never. I have c-sections & it just not something I would ever consider. Our last daughter had severe jaundice due to blood issues also & I felt better having her in the hospital. She is now doing wonderfully at 3 1/2 months old

johnny4ever
Having a great birthday!
Yesterday at 4:52 PM
by Mrs. Depp on Jun. 20, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Nope.

johnny4ever
Having a great birthday!
Yesterday at 4:52 PM
by Mrs. Depp on Jun. 20, 2011 at 2:56 PM

I wanted to do a water brith at the hospital but of course things never go as planned.

egyptian_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2011 at 9:29 PM
I don’t think it's something I would do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunkyldy
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I am planning one and there's a ton of moms out there on the web that are planning them too.  My midwife alone has enough clients to keep her busy (but not too busy) I love having 24/7 reliable access to my midwife.  Knowing that she will be here in a heartbeat to check on me and baby.  It's difficult to go all natural and uninterrupted at a hospital whereas I am very much at peace at home. 

ShelbyMomoftwo
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 9:06 AM
Probably not unless I had a mid-wife, doula, or someone professional present! However, for me, the labor part is way easier at home. I waited until 9 1/2 cm dilated with my
daughter before going to the hospital & while it took forever, I'm glad I wasn't strapped to a bed. With my son, I opted to go once I began feeling the more intense pains (the
rapid, holy cow ones didn't begin until I stuck in bed). I was 5 1/2 cm
dilated when I arrived. In some ways, I'm glad I went early because I was
told sometimes the second child comes quicker & boy, did he ever! I
have bitter sweet memories of his birth due to the doctor not being the
one I wanted to deliver (she was new as well) & I tried hard to tell those
nurses that the baby was ready but they kept looking at me like they were dumbfounded. I think they all went to medical school in the woods. Anyway, I opted to not have an
epidural or other drugs with either &
delivered both babies vaginally. It was harder the second time around
but I exhausted myself waiting on the doctor to get her act together. I'm
also ten years older. Anyway, I like being at the hospital just in case
there are problems. There are some things only trained individuals need to do (in my opinion). We have the technology & assistance women for centuries did not have & I think we should take advantage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShelbyMomoftwo
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 9:20 AM
They just remodeled our hospital & made a much nicer birthing center so I was excited about the changes. I would probably like to try a water birth (at the hospital!). Maybe next time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tashntim
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 11:18 AM

No and it's not something I'd consider since I'm automatically placed as high risk.

Ricanmami1
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 2:10 PM

no i had a c-section 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)