Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

If a woman breaks an engagement should she return the ring?

Posted by   + Show Post

Or do you consider it a gift she can keep?

by on Jun. 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
troll.mom
by on Jun. 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM

there are many factors that come to mind.. if it was given on a holiday (vday, christmas, birthday, hanukkah) then no, if it was given on any ordinary day yes or if it is a family ring then yes.

my friend actually went to court for this.. he proposed on V-day.. she broke the egagement off and kept the ring, the judge ruled in her favor (male judge) and said it is considered a gift.  she got to keep it.  he did give a word of advice to the men in the court room, dont do it on a holiday.  lol.  none of my male friends after that did it on a holiday

Barronbaby
by on Jun. 28, 2011 at 2:37 PM
Give it back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by on Jun. 28, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Depends. If it is a family heirloom I think she should, but if it's not then I don't think she should.

Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2011 at 3:51 PM
I agree

Quoting HTMommy:

I think if it is a family heirloom it should be returned, bc she is no longer part of the family and it is NOT her property. I also think it depends on the terms of the breakup. If he cheated she can keep it, if it was mutual and just fell out of love, I think the respectable thing to do is to give it back.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Strega
by on Jun. 28, 2011 at 3:53 PM
Totally agree.

Quoting inmybizz:

an engagement ring is promise to marry..If the woman breaks the engagement she should return the ring..If the man breaks the engagement she keeps the ring..that's what i have always heard.. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuLu5J
by on Jun. 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I think she should.  The only exception, to me, is if he cheated on her, then she doesn't own him anything.

PEEK05
by on Jun. 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I think it should be returned. It was given to her as a gift to be married. If the marriage isn't happening, the gift would never have been bought otherwise, so I honestly think she should give it back.

KamsOne
by on Jun. 28, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I like this!

Quoting inmybizz:

an engagement ring is promise to marry..If the woman breaks the engagement she should return the ring..If the man breaks the engagement she keeps the ring..that's what i have always heard.. 

Wyldbutterfly
by on Jun. 28, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Honestly, I think it's something that should be returned. If a woman breaks the engagment, why would she want to keep the ring?

RayneofTerror
by on Jun. 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM

i believe the ring should be returned no matter who ended it. regardless of the terms of the break up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)