Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Google Plus

johnny4ever
Summer is flying by
Today at 8:02 AM
Posted by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 8:47 AM
  • 7 Replies

Google Social Network Is a Facebook Killer

Posted by Maressa Brown
on June 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM

google  circlesThey've brought us the best email on the web, the best search engine, the best maps, even awesome smartphones. Is there anything Google can't do? Oh yeah! Compete with Facebook ... until NOW! The Internet giant will soon be launching its social network project, Google+ or Google Plus, and the buzz (no pun intended) surrounding it is reaching a fever pitch. Although it's still a mystery in some ways, Google has released a good chunk of info about Google+'s features.

For instance, there's Google+ Circles, which allows you to drag and drop contacts (one at a time, or multiple at a time) into various groups for easy sharing. Because don't you usually share one type of story with your parents and relatives and another with your college friends? Yes, totally! You'll also be able to use Photos to upload tons of pics from your smartphone to your Google+ account (which Facebook definitely doesn't allow you to do yet).

Then there's Sparks, which "digests your interests" and offers up stories, videos, and photos you might like, a la news, YouTube, and image-based Pandora. Plus it will even have something similar to a News Feed, which integrates all of the other moving parts (like content from your Circles).

But one of the coolest known features by far I'd say is Hangouts, which lets you video chat with one friend or several, on the spur of the moment or at a set time/date. Then people who can see your activity can join in, almost as if they were dropping by the bar to chill with you and your girls for happy hour. Sweet!

And all of this? Yeah, it's just the beginning! Um, Mark Zuckerberg? I think the Google folks are about to give you a run for your social network moolah!

I would venture to guess that there will be a lot of people jumping on board to use Google+ right out of the gate, and although it may seem foreign to us at first, it all sounds so intuitive that we'll probably get the hang of the Google+ world pretty quickly.

Personally, I've been on Facebook since its early, college kids-only days, but I could definitely see myself switching over to something like Google+ if it met all of my social networking needs just as well or better than Zuckerberg's world. If Google+ turns out to be everything we hope it will, I really wouldn't be surprised if many of us ditched the 'book.

What do you think about Google+? Could you see yourself using it instead of Facebook?

by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LuLu5J
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Interesting, I would definitely have to take a look at it.

KamsOne
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:43 PM

If it gets to be as big as Facebook I would use it.  No point in using it though if all your friends don't, ya know?

Barabell
by Member on Jun. 30, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Hmm, I use FB, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

If this catches on more, I could see me preferring Google+. It's probably more dependent on if my friends and family sign up for it.

Liansmommie
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I use google because it's the most prevalent tool for what I do but if they run the social network like they do their other programs I won't get involved voluntarily.

Laura1427
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 2:53 PM

My DH heard about this. He thinks it is going to be a "Facebook killer" too. I will definitely take a look at it. I am not some crazy loyal Facebook person, lol.

sweettigeress
by on Jul. 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM

I did not know about this till now. I think everyone will continue to use FB as well as google +. 

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Jul. 1, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I am on the waiting list for this site. Even if my friends aren't on it, I can always make new ones there....ya know?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)