Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Casey Anthony trial. Thoughts?

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 8:46 AM
  • 13 Replies

Have you been watching the trial? I know some people that are completely hooked and watch every moment. Me? I wait for the recap on the nightly news. Why do you think this trial has become so "popular"?

Casey Anthony Trial Is About a Mother's Sacrifice

Posted by Cynthia Dermody
on Jul 3, 2011

Casey Anthony trial

We all know what Casey Anthony sacrificed, at least in our minds. As closing arguments in the Casey Anthony Murder Trial continue this afternoon, many of us with children reached our own conclusions long ago, as we heard every unbelievable detail of a woman who was too young and too messed up to be a mother making choices that most of us find unfathomable. Prosecutor Jeff Ashton said in his closing arguments today:

"The evidence in this case proves beyond any reasonable doubt that Caylee Anthony decided on June 16 that something had to be sacrificed ... She died because her mother decided the life she wanted was more important."

A mother who willingly traded her child for her own life. Now juxtapose Casey to the other "mother" featured prominently in this trial -- Casey's own mother, Cindy -- and the whole tragic mess becomes even more confounding.

For all her screwed up priorities, naivete, or whatever else you want to call it for defending her daughter, Cindy Anthony is the only positive example of a mother in this trial.

Cindy Anthony may not believe her daughter is innocent of the crime, and yet she's defended her. She's testified for the defense, possibly even committed perjury for her. Meanwhile, her father, a retired cop, has been working for the prosecution. Not that I blame him -- his daughter has not only accused him of sexually abusing her but of also helping to help cover up Caylee's story that Caylee drowned in the family's pool -- none of which there is any evidence for. He loved that little girl more than life itself, and tried to take his own over it. He wants justice for that little girl, like everyone else.

Cindy Anthony has somehow found a way to look past that. Despite all the lies, all the changing versions, all the false accusations, and the ultimate death of her granddaughter in the most cruel of ways -- she still believes her daughter should be spared the ultimate fate. She's willing to risk everything -- her sense of justice, ethics, reputation, morality, her marriage (because how on earth could that survive after something like this) -- all for her daughter. Her daughter, who was once an innocent little girl, just like her granddaughter Caylee. Her daughter, who in some confused way is still innocent. Her daughter who is still and always will be her daughter.

Our daughters are really just images of ourselves perfected. When I think of my own daughter, not much older than Caylee when she died, there are very few things I could imagine her doing now or in the future that would alter her image in my eyes. Because there would always be an explanation that could rationalize it, some outside force beyond any control that made the mistake, not the inherent nature of the child herself. That is what we as mother's do. Most of us.

We might look at Cindy Anthony as clueless, conniving, immoral, or whatever other way you might label her based on what she's done through the trial, but on some very distant theoretical level I get it. And I can't say for certain that I would not do exactly the same thing in her shoes.

If only Casey Anthony had learned from that example and had been capable of being even half the mother her own is.

Is Cindy Anthony a good mom?

by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I haven't watched every minute or even every recap of the trial but I have seen bits and pieces.  As a mother I know we want to protect our children no matter what, but if one of my kids has behaved this way and I had lost a grandchild as a result, I'm not sure I could get past all of that.  Of course no one knows what we'd do until we were in that situation.

lenoxclan
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I haven't watch any of it period.. I think she is guilty though...

mumsy2three
by Member on Jul. 4, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Quoting lenoxclan:

I haven't watch any of it period.. I think she is guilty though...

This

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Ive watching constantly....I dont think prosecuction showed enough proof for 1st degree murder

betsystipo
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I have watched a little here and there.  I hope she gets life in prison...but I'm sorta doubtful.  At this point I am wondering if there is gonna be a mistrial bc of the Mother lying on the stand....

rkoloms
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 5:38 PM

It is not news, it is gossip. I turned on CNN yesterday, and it was the lead story. If I wanted to hear sensationalism, I would turn on E

TheJerseyGirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2011 at 6:37 AM

I could understand Cindy if she were defending her daughter over something she wasnt aware of, but covering for her when she killed her own granddaughter???

TheJerseyGirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Not guilty??? *SCREAMS*

TheJerseyGirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2011 at 3:44 PM

o disgusted over the whole thing! 

aneela
by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 3:57 PM

she is one lucky b*stard...she better be careful though...there are people out there who may not take that verdict well...poor Caylee RIP angel doll

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)