Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What's your approach for handling public meltdowns?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What's your approach for handling public meltdowns?

Options:

I just grit my teeth and get through my errand as fast as possible.

I take my kid outside before he can even get a second scream in.

I sit down with, hold and/or talk to my child until he calms down.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 17

View Results

by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 9:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
lovinangels
by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM

run, forrest, run!

LivinDeadGurl
Starting a new job next month! So excited!
Wednesday at 11:56 PM
by Maranda on Jul. 5, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Considering the only child of mine who has them in public is special needs, I sit him down and talk to him until he calms down OR I have my husband take him out of the store to calm down.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 5, 2011 at 7:29 PM

All of the above, depending on the day, the reason, the child. My son has autism and if he is having a meltdown then usually we take a time out and then come back. A temper tantrum, I ignore it, a sensory overload meltdown or caused by his anxieties we will usually leave. With my dd, she's easy, never really has meltdowns. Once she did during dinner out and we sat in the car for 10 minutes and she calmed down and hasn't done it again.

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2011 at 8:03 PM
Dd is autistic and non verbal so I try and talk to her and calm her down if it's something important I'm doing I'll try and get it done asap if not I will leave right away. That's really all I can do she doesn't understand what we say to her so we do the best we can.
TruthSeeker.
by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Other. Unless it is an emergency I exit the facility immediately with kicking and screaming child in tow.  Thankfully those days are behind us........I hope.

BeachMommy07
by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 10:05 PM

My son doesn't have meltdowns in public, very rarely usually it's because he's very tired and its time to go home lol

HTMommy
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:46 AM

lol for adults or children?

HTMommy
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I am afraid I'll jinx myself. I am lucky bc my kids don't, they rarely have and it wasn't fair to them bc they were over tired and past a point of comprehending what was wrong. Those few times were usually my fault, but when you HAVE to get it done then and there and don't have the opportunity to do it later, you do whatcha gotta do.

I find that even those few times when my kids are "making a scene" I get more support from other moms than anything else, bc lets face it....we've all been there.

CoolMommyofboys
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 10:19 AM

hopefully I'm not jinxing myself either  LOL

but luckily, my boys don't really have melt downs in public

TexasWife
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 11:22 AM

This or sometimes the bathroom. I don't know what it is but sometimes just taking Ian to the bathroom calms him down. 

Quoting lenoxclan:

I or dh will get down to their level and talk with them about it.. If they continue we will either take them outside to until they calm down:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)