Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is it okay to ban kids from restaurants?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:52 AM
  • 22 Replies

What are your thoughts?

Rude Restaurant Bans Kids Under 6

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans
on Jul 11, 2011

kid in restaurant

Here's a story that's sure to give you indigestion ... a restaurant in Pennsylvania has banned all kids under 6 because they're too noisy. Yep, McDain's Restaurant and Golf Center says it doesn't want to be bothered with the rug rats, so they're not welcome.

The restaurant's owner, John Vuick, says beginning July 16, kids will be kept from entering his establishment, no matter if they've proven themselves to be angels in the past or not since "their volume can't be controlled." Neither can mine, when it comes to cranky, rude people who won't even give children a chance.

"I think it's the height of being impolite and selfish, and therefore, I instituted a policy," he told WTAE. Whether he meant bringing them to a restaurant or just having children in general wasn't clear.

Look, nobody finds dining with a loud, obnoxious child pleasant -- not even said child's parents -- but kids are part of society, as much as some people would like them not to be. Most parents know when it's time to call a meal quits and will remove the offender after all attempts to quell him fail. If they don't, I have no problem with management letting them know that they'll have to take the child outside for awhile until he or she calms down.

But to institute an across-the-board policy that NO children can even enter the building is outrageous. From the time my son was small, we took him to "nice" restaurants. We brought along plenty of entertainment, went early, and knew when it was time to leave. The thought of anyone turning us away because he was merely with us is unthinkable. And if you look at this video, it's not even like his restaurant is all that fancy anyway -- it's like vinyl seats and cheap tables. We not talking Chez Panisse here.

It's discrimination plain and simple. Can you imagine if he banned old people because some of them are "crotchety," or any race or religion of people? The world would be up in arms, but when it comes to children, oh well. It may be legal, but it doesn't mean it's right.

Vuick says he's noticed there are "certain parents who can't leave their children at home." Yeah, probably those without babysitters who don't want to get arrested. He goes on to talk about the real problem he sees and told WTAE:

You know, their child -- maybe as it should be -- is the center of their universe. But they don't realize it's not the center of the universe.

I wouldn't even want to eat in a restaurant run by someone with an attitude like that -- I'm sure once the ban goes into effect, it will be uptight, stuffy, and full of rude people just like Vuick. How fun! Hopefully the diners of Monroeville will send a strong message about his actions by not filling his tables ... or by sending in droves of really loud, obnoxious adults.

by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lenoxclan
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:59 AM

personally I don't care.. I mean, if said restaurant can afford the loss in money, than go for it.. I don't care to go anywhere I don't feel welcomed.. I can say that, if after discovering he was loosing to much money with his new "rule" he decided to change his mind, I personally would still not go back..

sweettigeress
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I don't care what they do. They're the one losing money. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Yep....

Quoting sweettigeress:

Myspace Comments       autism bright colors heart picture and wallpaper

4kidz916
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 3:57 PM

If it's an upscale restaurant and they've had a lot of complaints from customers, then I'd say they are doing the right thing.  Unfortunately, not all parents are courteous of other patrons when eating out. 

Charli627
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 5:36 PM
This.

Quoting lenoxclan:

personally I don't care.. I mean, if said restaurant can afford the loss in money, than go for it.. I don't care to go anywhere I don't feel welcomed.. I can say that, if after discovering he was loosing to much money with his new "rule" he decided to change his mind, I personally would still not go back..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Member on Jul. 11, 2011 at 5:44 PM

agree

Quoting sweettigeress:

steelcrazy
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 6:42 PM

This was a big deal last week here, I live in the area of the restaurant.  This week it is old news. lol  I'm in the whatever category.  I've never eaten there in the past and can't say that his decision would affect me one way or another.  It is his business and he has the right to limit his clientele if he so chooses.  However, I don't want to hear him whining if his business declines.  Maybe I'm alone in this, but I do like to have a child free night every now and again and absolutely hate to deal with other people's screaming children in the process.  So having a few grown up only restaurants wouldn't be a bad idea in my book.

LivinDeadGurl
Not feeling well today. Just want to curl up and sleep.
Yesterday at 5:29 PM
by Maranda on Jul. 11, 2011 at 8:48 PM

I am all for adult only restaurants. Sometimes you just want to get out and away from ALL children.

websorceress
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 8:55 PM

If it's the owners wishes to not have children, it's his choice but doesn't that fall under discrimination????

Maybe an area seperated from the rest of the restaurant would be a better idea.......

LuLu5J
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I agree

Quoting lenoxclan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)