Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is it okay to ban kids from restaurants?

Posted by   + Show Post

What are your thoughts?

Rude Restaurant Bans Kids Under 6

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans
on Jul 11, 2011

kid in restaurant

Here's a story that's sure to give you indigestion ... a restaurant in Pennsylvania has banned all kids under 6 because they're too noisy. Yep, McDain's Restaurant and Golf Center says it doesn't want to be bothered with the rug rats, so they're not welcome.

The restaurant's owner, John Vuick, says beginning July 16, kids will be kept from entering his establishment, no matter if they've proven themselves to be angels in the past or not since "their volume can't be controlled." Neither can mine, when it comes to cranky, rude people who won't even give children a chance.

"I think it's the height of being impolite and selfish, and therefore, I instituted a policy," he told WTAE. Whether he meant bringing them to a restaurant or just having children in general wasn't clear.

Look, nobody finds dining with a loud, obnoxious child pleasant -- not even said child's parents -- but kids are part of society, as much as some people would like them not to be. Most parents know when it's time to call a meal quits and will remove the offender after all attempts to quell him fail. If they don't, I have no problem with management letting them know that they'll have to take the child outside for awhile until he or she calms down.

But to institute an across-the-board policy that NO children can even enter the building is outrageous. From the time my son was small, we took him to "nice" restaurants. We brought along plenty of entertainment, went early, and knew when it was time to leave. The thought of anyone turning us away because he was merely with us is unthinkable. And if you look at this video, it's not even like his restaurant is all that fancy anyway -- it's like vinyl seats and cheap tables. We not talking Chez Panisse here.

It's discrimination plain and simple. Can you imagine if he banned old people because some of them are "crotchety," or any race or religion of people? The world would be up in arms, but when it comes to children, oh well. It may be legal, but it doesn't mean it's right.

Vuick says he's noticed there are "certain parents who can't leave their children at home." Yeah, probably those without babysitters who don't want to get arrested. He goes on to talk about the real problem he sees and told WTAE:

You know, their child -- maybe as it should be -- is the center of their universe. But they don't realize it's not the center of the universe.

I wouldn't even want to eat in a restaurant run by someone with an attitude like that -- I'm sure once the ban goes into effect, it will be uptight, stuffy, and full of rude people just like Vuick. How fun! Hopefully the diners of Monroeville will send a strong message about his actions by not filling his tables ... or by sending in droves of really loud, obnoxious adults.

by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
TempestRayne
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 9:22 PM
I can understand where he is coming from. Sometimes I want a night Away from all children.
jerzeetomato
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I think it's his restaurant and he can do what he wants.  Would I personally frequent such an establishment?  No, just like I wouldn't visit a store that has some other stupid discriminatory policy.  Everyone has a choice - if you don't like his policies, you can choose to dine out somewhere else.  If he doesn't like having children around, and you can't go out with little Debbie and Johnny, then why would you want to go there anyway??

HTMommy
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I was thinking the same exact thing

Quoting websorceress:

If it's the owners wishes to not have children, it's his choice but doesn't that fall under discrimination????

Maybe an area seperated from the rest of the restaurant would be a better idea.......

mysons_r_mylife
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:01 AM
Agree

Quoting jerzeetomato:

I think it's his restaurant and he can do what he wants.  Would I personally frequent such an establishment?  No, just like I wouldn't visit a store that has some other stupid discriminatory policy.  Everyone has a choice - if you don't like his policies, you can choose to dine out somewhere else.  If he doesn't like having children around, and you can't go out with little Debbie and Johnny, then why would you want to go there anyway??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HTMommy
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:03 AM

He can do what he wants but he's going to get backlash at some point and if not get fined for discrimination. I don't personally take my kids to adult friendly restaurants, why would you....a golf club restaurant really? Doesn't sound like much fun for kids anyway.

aneela
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:53 AM

good point...but there are places that are adult only..hopefully people dont take their kids clubbing you know lol...so it's all in the wording etc...

i like going out and not having kiddo in tow every single time...and i dont always want to go to a bar to do that either...so i can see the diff sides to this issue and I am a mom.

Quoting HTMommy:

I was thinking the same exact thing

Quoting websorceress:

If it's the owners wishes to not have children, it's his choice but doesn't that fall under discrimination????

Maybe an area seperated from the rest of the restaurant would be a better idea.......

JamieCrye
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Perfectly fine to ban children under 6. The first comment on this thread is getting quite the national attention. And rightfully so. 

The big comment that's getting the attention is the one

"If said restaurant can afford the loss in money, then go for it. I don't care to go where I'm not welcomed."

Isn't that a bit  holier than thou?  The person who made that comment is already excluded from attending with children under six if any exist- so she can't go there- so said comment is irrelevant.

As for the "discrimination" comments.  That word has many meanings- especially in today's society.

One can have "discriminating tastes",

One can disciminate based on anything they want to if they are a private business.  What I think some of us mommies here don't realize (if we haven't been out of the house in awhile) is...Discrimination Laws as were likely intended by some of the comments here on this board- apply to the government, not individual business owners.

As some have said, the owners of the business should be able to cater to any clientele they want to- or not.  The problem with some people in society is that they want to impose their desires on others, such as this restaurant that they  would not have gone to- ANYWAY.

The beauty of a free capitalist society is I can do what I want with my business and how I run my business and my customers will decide to spend their money in my place or not.

If my customer base is for example- old fuddy duddies who spend lots of money at my restaurant eating lavish meals, ordering fancy bottles of wine, or whatever- you as a family with two screaming brats (my kids are guilty of this) eat into my profit margin all the way from my employees having to clean up your kid's thrown food, loss in tips from my customers, and loss from big spenders who decide not to come here because they can't eat in a quiet atmosphere.  You 'cost' me money.  Who do you think I'm going to cater to?

Peanutx3
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Yes it is ok.

midnight_storm
by Member on Jul. 14, 2011 at 1:06 AM
Yes, I think it is okay. I don't really think of it as discriminating, if it is then EVERY 55+ house complex or community is discriminating. It's the restaurants policy, most restaurants have some sort of policy. Plus, this is at a golf course, not a putt putt golf, I imagine a large portion of the clientele complained of having there meal disturbed by noisy, wiggly, bored children as the place is not geared towards kids.

BeachMommy07
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 9:03 AM

haha I saw this in another group and I will state my opinion here as well. How is a 6 year old any different then a  5 year old? The age limit baffles me completely. I have seen my 4 year old son more mature then a 6 year old sometimes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN