Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Octomom!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 8:08 AM
  • 16 Replies

Octomom & Brood Terrorize Fellow Airline Passengers

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans
on July 12, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Nadya SulemanThink you've had a flight from hell? Take your worst travel nightmare, then compare it to the thought of being trapped on a plane, stuck on the runway for hours, with Nadya Suleman, aka "Octomom" and her eight screaming toddlers. I'm guessing what you've experienced before pales in comparison to that. It was the reality, however, for some passengers traveling from New York to Los Angeles last Friday.

Suleman and her gang were returning home after an appearance on the Today show, and by all accounts the eight toddlers (eight!) were out of control in their business-class seats as the plane sat delayed due to mechanical problems. Among the annoyed passengers trapped listening to the little terrors was Kristen Johnston of Third Rock From the Sun fame. According to TMZ, after about an hour, Johnston couldn't take it any longer and confronted Suleman.

"How would you like me to keep eight 2-year-olds quiet?" Suleman asked.

"Get more help!" Johnston shot back.

And the final verbal blow from Suleman, who later said she had no idea who Johnston was: "Why don't you grow a baby and get a life!"

Um ... what? Anyway, Kristen then reportedly stormed off the plane and never returned. No word as to how the rest of the flight went or how the other passengers survived. but here I am, once again, feeling sorry for poor Nadya.

There are few things worse than being stuck on a plane with a screaming child, but in most cases, the person who suffers the most is the mother of the screaming child. I've been that mother with just one child and felt the piercing daggers as other passengers stared me down. I can only imagine the whole experience times eight.

Sometimes, no matter how much you do,  or how well behaved your children usually are, or how much help you have (she had a friend plus two older children along to help), there's just nothing you can do to calm them down and -- when stuck on a plane -- nowhere you can go.

It sucks for everyone involved, but yelling at the mother doesn't help. Johnston certainly had no obligation to help Nadya, but she didn't need to make matters worse for her either. Just like none of us needs to make matters worse by continuing to chastise Suleman for the all the kids she had -- she has them, so let's figure out how to help her figure out the best way to raise them instead of continuing to kick her when she's clearly struggling.

Do you think Kristen Johnson was out of line for chastising Nadya Suleman for her kids screaming on the airplane?

by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aneela
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:55 AM

"How would you like me to keep eight 2-year-olds quiet?" Suleman asked.

"Get more help!" Johnston shot back.

I only have one and sometimes I wonder lol...it's part of life...kids are kids and in this case I can see both sides..the lady wanting peace and quiet but really even if Nadya had 8 helpers it would NOT GUARANTEE the kids would all be quiet and well behaved on a PLANE!I am not a Nadya fan at all...but would I have yelled at her about this...not really...I feel bad for the kids to begin with...goodness knows what they go through in life already and what else they have to look forward to in the future.

Kaci
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2011 at 11:03 AM

she shouldnt of been in the business class seats with all the kids. Just saying. shrugging

TempestRayne
by Member on Jul. 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM
MAn. That is tough. No, I don't feel bad for her. At all. I don't feel bad for Johnston, either. People get pissy when planes are delayed, last time I checked, kids are people too. The adults should have acted better.
4kidz916
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Exactly. 

Quoting TempestRayne:

MAn. That is tough. No, I don't feel bad for her. At all. I don't feel bad for Johnston, either. People get pissy when planes are delayed, last time I checked, kids are people too. The adults should have acted better.

xxLukesMamaxx
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 1:07 PM

You can't control how your child behaves. You teach them how to act in public but in the end, it's up to them. My son can be very hard to reason with at times, I can't imagine if I had 8! (or 14 in her case). I think Kristen should have kept her mouth shut and just got off the plane (since that is what she ended up doing) instead of opening her mouth. I am sure that Nadia wanted her kids to be quiet just as much as Kristen did! 

sweettigeress
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Yes, she was out of line. Ok...I can't stand Octomom, but instead of ridiculing her she could have helped her out. No big deal. People are so inconsiderate.

Maddies_mom101
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 1:15 PM

first I think octomom is a train wreck... I watched her on the today show and she  was rude  very very rude. I think she thinks the world should just be accepting of her family  and she should get special treatment.

I agree she should have got some help .... I mean seriously 8 toddlers on a plan and just her  did she really think that should not get anyone saying anything to her

betsystipo
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Really how was she supposed to keep that many 2 yr olds "quiet" on a plane!  Its hard enough when its in flight, then to be trapped bc of something wrong?  Itd be my worse nightmare w/ 2 4.5yr olds!  Sometimes I think people need to lay off this poor woman!  yes she had octoplets, but really - just let her be!

betsystipo
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Where would you put her then - first class? 

Quoting Kaci:

she shouldnt of been in the business class seats with all the kids. Just saying. shrugging

midnight_storm
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM
Exactly, most people pay extra for business class to enjoy a peaceful flight.

Quoting Kaci:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)