Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Would you support a parents right to have their childs earlobes removed? Poll~

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you want to ban this practice?

Options:

Yes. There's no reason to have a piece of your child cut off.

No, It won't harm the child. It's the parents choice.

I'm on the fence about this.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

Lets say there was a religious practice that involved removing part of a babies earlobe. It's considered cleaner, healthier and more attractive to do so. The baby would be numb and of course an earlobe isn't a vital organ so it wouldn't affect their daily life.

Would you support it?

by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 10:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
steelcrazy
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 5:26 PM

My youngest son had to be circumcised, there was no choice in the matter due to a birth defect.  So it isn't always a choice.

Barronbaby
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 5:55 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Quoting Peanutx3:

You take care of your child your way and I will take care of my child my way.  Government and its people need to mind their own business.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Jul. 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I may not agree with it, but I support a parents right to decide especially in cases of religious beliefs. 

paganbaby
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 6:21 PM

It's okay,lol.

Quoting usmclife58:

I had a blond moment. Sorry. I was thinking the whole outer ear. Geez, I need a nap. You are right, it is a fair comparison.

I still stick with it being a parent's right to choose though. I am a big fan of people not taking my rights away ;)

Quoting paganbaby:

How is that a stretch? A piece of skin compared to a piece of skin?

Quoting usmclife58:

Oh dear. That is a bit of a stretch. Earlobes to foreskin... 

Even though that is a ridiculous comparison, I am going with option #2

paganbaby
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Oh jeez. That sucks :-(

Did the circumcision fix the problem and were you already planning on having him circed?

Quoting steelcrazy:

My youngest son had to be circumcised, there was no choice in the matter due to a birth defect.  So it isn't always a choice.

paganbaby
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 6:23 PM

With my scenario too?

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I may not agree with it, but I support a parents right to decide especially in cases of religious beliefs. 

Peanutx3
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 6:24 PM

For me the line is drawn at not providing food, beating and I don't mean spanking, I mean really beating - abuse.  But for everything else leave it to me - the parent. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Fair enough. But where do you draw the line? When should a law be made to protect children from their parents choices?

Quoting Peanutx3:

Yep.  I get very tired of the government or some groups of people trying to tell us parents how to raise or feed our kids, what we can or can't do to our kids.

Quoting paganbaby:

I take it that you voted option number two?

Quoting Peanutx3:

You take care of your child your way and I will take care of my child my way.  Government and its people need to mind their own business.

paganbaby
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 6:26 PM

What about car seats? Or seat belts?

Quoting Peanutx3:

For me the line is drawn at not providing food, beating and I don't mean spanking, I mean really beating - abuse.  But for everything else leave it to me - the parent. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Fair enough. But where do you draw the line? When should a law be made to protect children from their parents choices?

Quoting Peanutx3:

Yep.  I get very tired of the government or some groups of people trying to tell us parents how to raise or feed our kids, what we can or can't do to our kids.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Peanutx3:

midnight_storm
by Member on Jul. 14, 2011 at 6:49 PM
If removing an earlobe was part of a parents religious or cultural belief, then I have no problem with it. If it's being done just to be mean, then I have a problem with it.

As to circumcision, I think it's parental choice. This is something that has been practice for centuries, it's not a new procedure.

As to car seats and seatbelts, well that's a bit different. There are many things that laws have changed based on information at the time. Such as helmets, littering, and driving while intoxicated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peanutx3
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 7:30 PM

the Libertarian in me says government needs to stay out of dictating my life but the mother and common sense says those are needed laws.

Quoting paganbaby:

What about car seats? Or seat belts?

Quoting Peanutx3:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Peanutx3:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Peanutx3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)