Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Would you support a parents right to have their childs earlobes removed? Poll~

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you want to ban this practice?

Options:

Yes. There's no reason to have a piece of your child cut off.

No, It won't harm the child. It's the parents choice.

I'm on the fence about this.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

Lets say there was a religious practice that involved removing part of a babies earlobe. It's considered cleaner, healthier and more attractive to do so. The baby would be numb and of course an earlobe isn't a vital organ so it wouldn't affect their daily life.

Would you support it?

by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 10:53 AM
Replies (31-40):
ShelbyMomoftwo
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:03 PM
A friend of mine's little sister went in to have her tonsils removed & the doctor dropped them down her throat. She suffered severe brain damage. They sued, but I can't imagine something like this happening...terrible & money just doesn't cut it. She is grown now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Oh God that's awful!

Quoting ShelbyMomoftwo:

A friend of mine's little sister went in to have her tonsils removed & the doctor dropped them down her throat. She suffered severe brain damage. They sued, but I can't imagine something like this happening...terrible & money just doesn't cut it. She is grown now.

paganbaby
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Quoting websorceress:

Quoting LindaClement:

The argument I had with my doctor runs like this:

Why aren't infants routinely given appendectomies?

If their earlobes (in your example) get infected, or inflamed or might marginally increase some incredibly rare disease when they're a long way from immediate medical treatment... so?

If, on the other hand, a child has an appendicitis in the middle of the wilderness (or a natural disaster) and can't immediately get medical treatment their risk of dying increases a thousand fold.

If 'preventing disease' is what this is about, why not at least pick one of the diseases that is actually deadly?

Did you know people need their appendics??? they found out it's where the good baceteria is produced..........just a tidbit I learned recently.......I laughed, I knew it had to have some good, they just didn't know yet........

I didn't know that!

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I wasn't. I capitalized one word.

Quoting paganbaby:

Why are you yelling at me?

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I WAS talking about your scenario.

Quoting paganbaby:

With my scenario too?

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I may not agree with it, but I support a parents right to decide especially in cases of religious beliefs. 

paganbaby
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Okay then. It came across a little strong. I was under the impression you were speaking about circumcision.

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I wasn't. I capitalized one word.

Quoting paganbaby:

Why are you yelling at me?

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I WAS talking about your scenario.

Quoting paganbaby:

With my scenario too?

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I may not agree with it, but I support a parents right to decide especially in cases of religious beliefs. 

Charli627
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Quoting Peanutx3:

You take care of your child your way and I will take care of my child my way.  Government and its people need to mind their own business.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I did know that --like tonsils, an appendix is an important part of our immune systems. We don't 'produce' bacteria, though.

Every wonder what a foreskin is for?

Quoting paganbaby:
Quoting websorceress:
Quoting LindaClement:

The argument I had with my doctor runs like this:

Why aren't infants routinely given appendectomies?

If their earlobes (in your example) get infected, or inflamed or might marginally increase some incredibly rare disease when they're a long way from immediate medical treatment... so?

If, on the other hand, a child has an appendicitis in the middle of the wilderness (or a natural disaster) and can't immediately get medical treatment their risk of dying increases a thousand fold.

If 'preventing disease' is what this is about, why not at least pick one of the diseases that is actually deadly?

Did you know people need their appendics??? they found out it's where the good baceteria is produced..........just a tidbit I learned recently.......I laughed, I knew it had to have some good, they just didn't know yet........

I didn't know that!

xxLukesMamaxx
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 7:02 AM
I understand where this is going and honestly if everyone else had their ear lobes removed I wouldn't want to be the only one with ear lobes... I think my son will be glad I made the decision I made. I think everyone should mind their own business...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Quoting usmclife58:

Oh dear. That is a bit of a stretch. Earlobes to foreskin... 

Even though that is a ridiculous comparison, I am going with option #2

I agree.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I couldnt do that...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN