Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Would you support a parents right to have their childs earlobes removed? Poll~

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you want to ban this practice?

Options:

Yes. There's no reason to have a piece of your child cut off.

No, It won't harm the child. It's the parents choice.

I'm on the fence about this.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

Lets say there was a religious practice that involved removing part of a babies earlobe. It's considered cleaner, healthier and more attractive to do so. The baby would be numb and of course an earlobe isn't a vital organ so it wouldn't affect their daily life.

Would you support it?

by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 10:53 AM
Replies (41-47):
paganbaby
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I always thought it was to protect the head of the penis.

Quoting LindaClement:

I did know that --like tonsils, an appendix is an important part of our immune systems. We don't 'produce' bacteria, though.

Every wonder what a foreskin is for?

Quoting paganbaby:
Quoting websorceress:
Quoting LindaClement:

The argument I had with my doctor runs like this:

Why aren't infants routinely given appendectomies?

If their earlobes (in your example) get infected, or inflamed or might marginally increase some incredibly rare disease when they're a long way from immediate medical treatment... so?

If, on the other hand, a child has an appendicitis in the middle of the wilderness (or a natural disaster) and can't immediately get medical treatment their risk of dying increases a thousand fold.

If 'preventing disease' is what this is about, why not at least pick one of the diseases that is actually deadly?

Did you know people need their appendics??? they found out it's where the good baceteria is produced..........just a tidbit I learned recently.......I laughed, I knew it had to have some good, they just didn't know yet........

I didn't know that!

paganbaby
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I guess that's the mind set of many people.

Quoting xxLukesMamaxx:

I understand where this is going and honestly if everyone else had their ear lobes removed I wouldn't want to be the only one with ear lobes... I think my son will be glad I made the decision I made. I think everyone should mind their own business...

lovinangels
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 2:01 PM

*ducks and runs out of room*

Peanutx3
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 3:27 PM

LOL come on Lovin be brave.  Tell us what you think.

Quoting lovinangels:

*ducks and runs out of room*

LuLu5J
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Every culture/religion has customs, traditions and beliefs, or just plain choices that are up to the individual involved.  I thing that as long as it's not putting the child in physical, mental or emotional danger, no one has the right to step in.  If the parents are doing something that is putting the child at risk then someone can step in.  I would support something like this as long as it's not putting the child in harm's way.

I circumcised my son and he does not miss that tiny piece of skin at all.  It was my choice and for personal reasons I did it.  Not for religious reasons.  If he gets mad at me about when he gets older than he has the right to say something. 

Parents have the right to raise their kids to their liking.

LindaClement
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 8:40 PM

I agree... about the raising.

About cutting into healthy tissue? To 'marginally lower the incidence of extremly rare, and extremely treatable disease they will probably never be at risk of contracting'?

Cutting off a healthy body part, for any reason, might be completely fine. If hospitals hadn't pretty much single-handedly created devastating anti-biotic resistant bacteria that can not only maim but kill. 

Until the risk of being cut open no longer involves even a small risk of death, I'd say this isn't about a 'parent's right to raise a child the way they see fit.' It's about risking a child's life for... what? Cosmetics? Preference of the parents? 

I am 100% in favour of body modification for pretty, for fitting in, for fads, for fun, even for religious affiliation --when the person receiving the same is the only one who can consent to it.

Quoting LuLu5J:

Every culture/religion has customs, traditions and beliefs, or just plain choices that are up to the individual involved.  I thing that as long as it's not putting the child in physical, mental or emotional danger, no one has the right to step in.  If the parents are doing something that is putting the child at risk then someone can step in.  I would support something like this as long as it's not putting the child in harm's way.

I circumcised my son and he does not miss that tiny piece of skin at all.  It was my choice and for personal reasons I did it.  Not for religious reasons.  If he gets mad at me about when he gets older than he has the right to say something. 

paganbaby
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Yes! This right here.

I like the rest too :-)

Quoting LindaClement:

I agree... about the raising.

About cutting into healthy tissue? To 'marginally lower the incidence of extremly rare, and extremely treatable disease they will probably never be at risk of contracting'?

Cutting off a healthy body part, for any reason, might be completely fine. If hospitals hadn't pretty much single-handedly created devastating anti-biotic resistant bacteria that can not only maim but kill. 

Until the risk of being cut open no longer involves even a small risk of death, I'd say this isn't about a 'parent's right to raise a child the way they see fit.' It's about risking a child's life for... what? Cosmetics? Preference of the parents? 

I am 100% in favour of body modification for pretty, for fitting in, for fads, for fun, even for religious affiliation --when the person receiving the same is the only one who can consent to it.

Quoting LuLu5J:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)