Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

i just wondered if anyone knew anything about androids and if they were good for autism or had good autism programs? i saw they had some but wondered if anyone had tried them. an android tab is out of my budget but they are cheaper than ipads. it seems like ipads have a little more communication/autism programs. i found a bunch of articles saying how good ipads were but not much about androids. my dd is autistic non verbal and i was going to try and get her one possibly but only if the programs were worth it or comparable.

by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 2:18 PM
Replies (11-17):
TheJerseyGirl
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Gotcha...they might be good options...even a small laptop would be nice for her...no mouse!

Quoting angelachristine:

she's also mentally handicapped and can't work the mouse. Ideally i want something she can carry around with her. i think i will probably try and get her an ipad maybe save up for it or something. i think android could get there eventually but for now i think apple has the lead on what i would want it for.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

What about letting her use the computer? My son is autistic and loves going on!

Myspace Comments       autism bright colors heart picture and wallpaper

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Jul. 16, 2011 at 5:30 PM

This is something I want to look into. I am told there are good programs, but I don't have more than an android phone and I don't like my kids using it, so I never looked into it.

I have a son with severe autism. He is almost completely nonverbal and is extremely far behind developmentally. I think something like that would do him well.

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM

yeah that's what i was thinking too. i know i probably won't win the tab they are giving away but Verizon has the 7 inch ones for $199 with contract which while still not cheap is better than the 500 plus for an ipad and the plans start at $20 for 1 gb a month so it's not too expensive. I just was wondering if it would be worth it or if i should just wait on an ipad. I asked in the autism group I'm in before and no one really knew either. 

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

This is something I want to look into. I am told there are good programs, but I don't have more than an android phone and I don't like my kids using it, so I never looked into it.

I have a son with severe autism. He is almost completely nonverbal and is extremely far behind developmentally. I think something like that would do him well.

HBAC_Mama
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 2:51 AM

go to a4cwsn.com or a4cwsn on Facebook.  We have tried the Android platform and there are no where near the apps available compared to what the iPad has.

LovelyLauren55
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 8:52 AM

I never thought about having apps on my phone for something like that...lol...what wont they come up with next?

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 9:05 AM
No idea...but bump. Is there any type of program to help you pay for it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CraftyMom80
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 9:10 AM

i have a dell streak 7 and i believe that there are things on there on the android market for austim.. i think i will check this out, since i have a son who has autism.... this might help thanks you the idea...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN