Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Anyone else find school uniforms expensive?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 5:34 PM
  • 19 Replies

My son's school has switched over to uniforms claiming that it saves parent's money on clothes.  I really don't think so, bc I ended up spending around the same amount on uniform pants and shirts that had to be embroidered than I have in the past on regular school clothes.  The uniform shop also wanted to charge me $7.50 to put the school's logo on the shirt when Walmart sells plain shirts for $7.50, that to me is a ripoff.  The uniform place also sells the already embroidered shirts for $12, so its cheaper just to buy the shirts from them, which is probably why they have it set up the way it is.  That way you buy their shirts.  My next big purchase is going to be an embroidery sewing machine, so I can do it cheaper at home and maybe even make a small business out of it, charging parents less than the embroidery shops do.  Only problem is that machines that do that cost about $1600, ouch!  Hey it would probably pay for itself in no time though.  And I could use it for my regular sewing too.  Now that's an idea.

by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoolMommyofboys
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 6:00 PM
I agree- I don't buy all new clothes each year- just one outfit- that would cost me way more

Are the logo's required?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dizzy77702
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 7:04 PM
Yeah his old school didn't require the logos but this one does and now that my daughter will be in kinder everything is twice as expensive. He can't use last years pants bc he has grown and they are now too short. But $7.50 per shirt for embroidery is insane. I mean I can see maybe three dollars but when a new shirt costs $7.50, that to me is a rip off.
betsystipo
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 7:42 PM

We dont' have them - yet anyways.  Thankfully!

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 7:43 PM

We dont wear uniforms here but wish we did. That is a great idea for a small business! You should go for it! Maybe youll find a machine used somewhere?

Kaelansmom
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 8:11 PM

All my son has to wear is a uniform t shirt.. which I order from a local company. 35$ for 5 shirts. But, it does add up, because I still have to buy his regular shorts and shirts, for fridays.. plus weekend activities.

Liansmommie
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 1:38 AM

The schools that require uniforms around here don't require a logo and that seems to make all the difference.

Barronbaby
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 9:38 AM
No uniforms here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Around here no logos.  And any white button up shirt is fine, it doesn't have to be a uniform white shirt.

CoolMommyofboys
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Quoting dizzy77702:

Yeah his old school didn't require the logos but this one does and now that my daughter will be in kinder everything is twice as expensive. He can't use last years pants bc he has grown and they are now too short. But $7.50 per shirt for embroidery is insane. I mean I can see maybe three dollars but when a new shirt costs $7.50, that to me is a rip off.

WOW that is insane...learning to emboidery yourself would be great and then if you could charge four dollars or so- you ought to make some money?

GOOD LUCK!!

LuLu5J
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Oh yes!  My kids school requires logos on their shirts and it's crazy!  Each shirt is $18 dollars (embroidered).  I have 3 kids, the girls have to wear white and the boys baby blue.  And you know they can't just have one, they each have to have at least 3, maybe more of the white ones as backup.  So that comes out to at least $200 and that doesn't include the uniform jumper that my youngest dd has to wear.  On top of that add the pants and the shoes.  Ugh!

This is one of the reasons why I'm considering sending them to public.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN