Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Anyone else find school uniforms expensive?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son's school has switched over to uniforms claiming that it saves parent's money on clothes.  I really don't think so, bc I ended up spending around the same amount on uniform pants and shirts that had to be embroidered than I have in the past on regular school clothes.  The uniform shop also wanted to charge me $7.50 to put the school's logo on the shirt when Walmart sells plain shirts for $7.50, that to me is a ripoff.  The uniform place also sells the already embroidered shirts for $12, so its cheaper just to buy the shirts from them, which is probably why they have it set up the way it is.  That way you buy their shirts.  My next big purchase is going to be an embroidery sewing machine, so I can do it cheaper at home and maybe even make a small business out of it, charging parents less than the embroidery shops do.  Only problem is that machines that do that cost about $1600, ouch!  Hey it would probably pay for itself in no time though.  And I could use it for my regular sewing too.  Now that's an idea.

by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 5:34 PM
Replies (11-19):
dizzy77702
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 3:18 PM

well this is a charter school, not public, and last year he was in a regular public school and they required uniforms just not with the logos.  Having them embroidered does make all the difference.  I still need to find shoes, try finding plain black or white sneakers for a little girl, they just don't make them or carry them at walmart, everything is black or white with characters, hearts, or stars on them.  Urrgh.

HTMommy
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 3:23 PM

embroidery machine's aren't that expensive....top of the line ones maybe but you can buy them almost anywhere now. Here's an example

sweettigeress
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM

My kids aren't in school. So I don't know.

HTMommy
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Try going online and doing site to store option at walmart. Most stores do it now too which is such a saving grace since they beat out so many places for prices too. Kmart used to carry lots of plain shoes too, idk you're location though so you may not have that option

CjEmmemommy
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Ours must be bought from lands end or Parker uniform They are 25-50 each piece. Crazy
illinoismommy83
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Uniforms create a false sense of equality. The (invalid) theory is that if everyone is dressed the same then you cannot tell who is poor and who has rich parents. 

But then the rich kids have fresh, nice uniforms and the poor kids end up with stained hand-me-down used uniforms, so its still pretty obvious.

It isn't designed to save you money. It is designed to protect the poor kids from reality and to diffuse gang situations.

nurse1997
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Are schools switched the past year and I love it it cosst me 450.00 bucks for all my kids clothes its so much cheaper now !!!

MichelleMc
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Around here there are no logos & it is way cheaper. No one knows if your mom washed it & you wore it again on Wednesday or Thursday so, you don't have to have 5 days or 10 days of outfits, or even more. Take the pants off when you get home, wear them again the next day or wash them & wear them again Wednesday or Thursday & no one knows. Not like regular clothes where someone would know what you wore. Also, instead of walmart t shirts, where by high school, a kid could be teased, no one cares because everyone wears the same. 

Yes the logo is a bit much. But $12 & buying a couple aren't too bad. Can you just buy the pants from anywhere? I know our Walmart sell the uniform pants because the area schools have uniforms so they are a deal.  

nurse1997
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM

You know its not really parnets problems if some kids cant afford the basics for school the schools switched for the poorer kids and they still complaine cant ever make any one happy ! 

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Uniforms create a false sense of equality. The (invalid) theory is that if everyone is dressed the same then you cannot tell who is poor and who has rich parents. 

But then the rich kids have fresh, nice uniforms and the poor kids end up with stained hand-me-down used uniforms, so its still pretty obvious.

It isn't designed to save you money. It is designed to protect the poor kids from reality and to diffuse gang situations.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN