Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Mom tries to sell kids on eBay. Funny? Or going too far?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM
  • 10 Replies

Has she gone too far?

Mom Who Tried to Sell Kids on eBay Shouldn't Lose Them

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans
on Jul 19, 2011

ebay

You can find pretty much anything under the sun for sale on eBay, even a couple of kids were listed there recently. While the Australian woman who put her two children up for bid said it was a joke, the consequence she's facing is anything but funny.

According to the Sunday Herald Sun, the 30-year-old woman wrote a "lengthy sales pitch" for her son and daughter -- both under 10 -- and even included pictures of them. When people started actually bidding on the children, some users became alarmed and alerted police.

They tracked down the woman, and even though police say they believe her that it was intended as a joke and didn't press charges, she could still lose custody of her children. An investigation is underway by the Department of Human Services. A spokesperson from the department told the paper:

If there is a serious threat to the children's wellbeing and the situation is so bad that the only safe option is for them to be taken from home, then that is definitely a possibility. This action could attract the attention of the wrong sort of people, whether it was a joke or not, and the family need to understand the risks and receive advice around that.

While child trafficking is a serious business, in this case it seems absurd to suggest she could lose her children when all signs point to it being a joke. We've all joked about selling our children at one time or another whether just to friends or on Facebook or Twitter. It doesn't mean we'd part with them for any amount of money. This isn't a case of a truly desperate woman trying to hawk her baby for $500 in a Taco Bell, but rather a woman who just took a joke and ran a little further with it than she should have.

Parenthood is tough, and it's even tougher if we're not able to find the humor in it. For her to lose her kids just because she was trying to get a laugh would be a true injustice.

The people who should be punished are those who actually made real and legitimate bids on the children. There's no way that is any kind of joke at all.

Do you think this mom should lose custody of her children after putting them up for sale on eBay?

by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kyrthanna
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I'm not sure about ebay's terms of service, but in their case, isn't it against the rules to post something you don't actually intend to sell?  Just a side thought.

I agree that the people who decided to bid on the children are seriously in the wrong and should be looked into...why would someone actually place a public bid on someone's kids like that?

I'm not sure if she should lose her children, but she should definitely get some sort of counseling for taking such a private joke so far publicly.  I mean, if it were actually a joke, which I suppose it was, she should have put some sort of 'disclaimer' on the posting saying as much - even if it was in very small fine print.  It's hard to say for sure without seeing the actual listing, but then, those poor kids are already going through enough now with her having posted their faces for the ad. bad

Strega
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Funny? Definitely not.

Going to far? Absolutely.

People who do these things have serious issues.

wedding website

VintageWife
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I don't think she should lose them unless they think there is something else going on in the home. Some people just don't have boundries when it comes to their jokes. I don't believe she was trying to really sell them.

Since Ebay and Craigs List are auction sites, it was not the appropriate place for that kind of "joke." It would have been funnier (to some) to put on CM or some site where we all knew she was joking and how she must be feeling at the time.

lenoxclan
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I think she needs counseling for sure..maybe parenting classes.. Actually putting your kids up for sale, goes a little past joking for me..

HTMommy
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I can see the offbeat humor of it. I would think it was a joke if I had seen in on there myself, not taking it seriously at all.  Everyone is different and I know for a fact they are alot less ready to jump the gun over there.

No I don't think her kids should be taken away unless something else is going on.

sweettigeress
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM

I think the whole thing is stupid. She shouldn't lose her kids. She was probably at her breaking point and it was obviously just a joke. Same as the people who bid on it. To joke. Funny? Meh, I don't care. But she shouldn't lose her kids. 

aneela
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM

There are better ways to get a laugh...im not really decided on how i feel about her losing her kids or not over this obviously STUPID ACT...brainless moves like this certainly deserve some sort of punishment..since she is supposed to be the mature adult...but not to the point of losing the kids. Glad it's not my call...

midnight_storm
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 4:51 PM
I don't think she should lose her kids, but she did go a bit too far with the joke.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoolMommyofboys
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM

hhhmmm that's a tough call...even if she was joking- a small part of her still wanted them gone so she might not even mind loose custody of them??

their argument could be "but you wanted to sell them?"     why are you fighting for them now?

I see no humor in it at all   :(

Kaelansmom
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Quoting Strega:

Funny? Definitely not.

Going to far? Absolutely.

People who do these things have serious issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)