Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you play the what ifs in your head?  I do!  I have been really trying to work on not doing it as much.  Mainly its in regards to the boys.....for example today Z woke at 4:50...I tried to get him back to sleep but he just wouldn't go.  So then the what ifs start running thru my head.  Whats wrong?  What if he's miserable?  Is he sick?  Should I make them take a nap?  All the questions start running thru my head.  And now he's sitting next to me saying his belly hurts....

by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 6:27 AM
Replies (11-20):
Ricanmami1
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM

BUMP!

LindaClement
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I don't tend to, no...

Sometimes I wake out of a weird dream and find my mind running away with itself... the simple (which is not to say 'easy') method of dealing with that is to do a body scan, to focus on what I can hear right now, or to sense and pay attention to my breathing, and just let the other thoughts drift as they do, without getting all engaged with them.

dizzy77702
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 10:06 PM
I don't play the what if game often but I have bipolar disorder and my mom has it and my grandmother might of had it too, so with me, its usually I wonder what if my daughter or son has this disorder? What if I gave it to them? What if they have to suffer for years like I had to and struggle their whole lives to be normal? it bothers me sometimes but its outside of my control.
sweettigeress
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I do this ALL the time. You're not the only one. 

paganbaby
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Omg! That's awful!

Quoting betsystipo:

it happened in NYC, i can get the story...but he was 9, walking home from camp and was abducted.  turns out the person who took him chopped him up and saved the pieces for the parents to bury!  it was awful!  the child had begged the mom to let him walk home from camp, and she did....

Quoting CoolMommyofboys:

Quoting betsystipo:

I do that w/ the little boy who was killed on the way home from camp....that mother must do it constantly!

Quoting CoolMommyofboys:

I try not to- I'm pretty laid back and I have God on my side so that helps

After reading the story about the bridesmaid that pushed the soon to be bride in the pool, I started thinking "what if" cuz my oldest has been pushed in the pool twice lately- the youngest did it this last time

what happend to him?  I didn't hear that story

paganbaby
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM
Quoting sweettigeress:

I do this ALL the time. You're not the only one. 

earthangel1967
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 2:41 AM

At first when my kids were little bc of my anxiety disorder and post traumatic stress disorder I did what ifs in my head to the point it was severely damaging my happiness and quality of life and I was afraid it would affect my kids and I didnt want them to be negativily affected from it so I went to counseling for it for two years and got on some medication and now I am sooooo much better, I still do what ifs even now that my 5 kids are 16-24 and always will out of concern for them and their well being and my husbands too but it doesnt debiliate me OR THEM

earthangel1967
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 2:45 AM

Quoting dizzy77702:

I don't play the what if game often but I have bipolar disorder and my mom has it and my grandmother might of had it too, so with me, its usually I wonder what if my daughter or son has this disorder? What if I gave it to them? What if they have to suffer for years like I had to and struggle their whole lives to be normal? it bothers me sometimes but its outside of my control.

awwwww I understand truly...... my mom has bipolar disorder, so do I, so does my husband and 3 of my 5 kids do and 1 of my kids has paranoid schizophrenia but let me share this with you from experience...

while your daughter MAY or MAY NOT have bipolar disorder, it wouldnt be YOU that gave it to her, itd just be her genetics in GENERAL she could have got it even if a great grandparent did and no else did until her or it could skip her like it did for 2 of our kids.

Also she probably WOULD NOT suffer quite as bad as you and I did growing up bc

A. She'd have a mom who recognizes the symptoms and can get her HELP younger and the help they have now is soooooo much more knowledgable about those things now even in children and they didnt know diddly when we were growing up.

B. Also she'd have a mom who understands what she would be going thru and who would be able to emotionally support and encourage her and empathise with her so she woudlnt feel so different or alone

GOOD LUCK I hope she doesnt have it but if she does, she will be fine THANKS to you. HUGS

xxLukesMamaxx
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I do sometimes but I don't spend a whole lot of times playing the "what if's" 

ShelbyMomoftwo
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM
Every once in awhile I get the night-time what-ifs. I have to clear my mind & try to think of other things or nothing at all. I can really drive myself batty sometimes worrying. I constantly remind myself not to sweat the small stuff or to accept the things that I cannot change. No good can come from sitting around thinking about all the bad stuff that could or has happened. Just remember that tomorrow is a new day full of wonderful possibilities. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)