Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What's the most you ever paid for a pair of jeans?

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 8:11 AM
  • 17 Replies

Ever reach the $400 mark?

$400 ‘American Made’ Jeans? I’ll Buy Chinese, Thanks

on Jul 19, 2011

jean-loving couple

Jeans. They're the staple in most people's wardrobes. One of the few pieces that can go virtually anywhere -- to the office, on a date, even to a cocktail party. So, is that why they're so dang expensive? Because of their versatility? Really, I'd love to know.

Labeled "designer denim" or "premium jeans," some companies are charging around $400 a pair. (To put this in perspective, you could get eight pairs of really stylish jeans for that price at a place like Urban Outfitters.) Apparently, it's not just the "label" you're paying for, though. Er, wait, actually it is. Just not the label you're thinking of.

The majority of "premium denim" is made in the good ol' U.S. of A., hence, well, the "Made in the U.S.A." label. People are attracted to that. Becauase buying from our country is good, right? We want to support our economy by buying American-made cars, food, and denim.

But ... this makes me wonder a bit, sends my Spidey Sense a tinglin'. By no means do I think denim companies are lying about where their jeans are produced. Everybody knows America is the jeans capital of the world. It's how Europeans I.D. us (along with a can of Coke), for God's sake. But I do think that some companies -- jeans, included -- use their "Made in the U.S.A" label as a means to hike the price up. In other words, people can rationale spending $350 on True Religion jeans because it makes them patriotic (and the companies can essentially advertise that way). And how apropos, right? I mean, capitalism is the American way. It is our true religion.

So I say no to jeans over $100, ladies. And not because I'm unpatriotic. Because there are plenty of other things to cover our getaway sticks for less than that that were made in America. Like, hello, Levi's!

Would you pay $400 for a pair of jeans?

by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Jul. 20, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Hell no. Hell, I wouldn't even let my husband buy me a pair of jeans from Torrid for $98.

I'll stick with my Old Navy jeans.

betsystipo
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 8:48 AM

NO WAY!  Holy crap I was gonna say maybe 40 bucks?  I try to stay under that!

PassionbyLea
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 8:55 AM

I would neverr spend more than $30-35 for jeans.  I'm with LivinDeadGurl on this I buy Old Navy and will continue to do so.good

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jul. 20, 2011 at 9:54 AM

$32

CoolMommyofboys
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I wouldn't pay 400 for any article of clothing...my wedding dress was very nice and it didn't even cost that

hhhmmm, I like the "worn in" feel of jeans- I buy mine at thrift stores...I prob. haven't paid more than ten for a pair since I was in HS and I bough some GUESS jeans?  I don't rem. how much those were though  LOL

I do remember using my own babysitting money on some GUESS overalls- they cost be 65...I loved those things though.  I can still see the shirt that I bought to go with them.  Once they became to short, I had my mom cut them off and I wore them as overall shorts forever (until they got to holey to wear)  I bought them at Sanger Harris (sp?)       that's what Foley's once was or is it Dillards?    hhmm that was a long time ago

mumsy2three
by Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 10:08 AM

No way!

I won't pay more than $40 for a pair of jeans, usually it's way less than that.

HTMommy
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 11:44 AM

The most I have ever paid for pants was $35 on clearance from victorias secret. They were work pants at that.

VintageWife
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I buy mine at Maurices and never pay more than $30-$35. My bff and her sister and friends get $70+ ones (silvertabs i think). Even when they were pregnant, they just went and bought a size up. Nope, it's just not for me!

aneela
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 2:55 PM

if i was stinking rich maybe lol...but i spend less than $30 on any item of clothing

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 20, 2011 at 6:46 PM

No way!  The most I paid is $50. I wouldn't pay more than that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)