Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

WOOPS! Have you ever done this?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:15 AM
  • 9 Replies

My brother and his wife are expecting their first child in December. She is about 13 weeks along right now, just entering her second trimester. They have had 3 miscarriages but so far this pregnancy seems to be going great! I've had some of my friends tell me they saw my brother and he told them they were expecting. My whole family knows they are expecting, it seems like everyone knows about it. SO... I took a picture of her and posted it on my fb page with this caption, "My beautiful SIL and my new niece or nephew ♥" Then I received a very polite e-mail from my SIL asking me if I could please remove the last part of the caption because no one on her side of the family (except her mom and sister) know about the pregnancy. I felt HORRIBLE! Of course you should never assume everyone knows and I felt like a complete jackass for letting the cat out of the bag : ( 

Have you ever let the cat out of the bag about someone's pregnancy before without knowing not everyone knows yet? Or is it just me? lol 

by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Courtney610
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Not that I know of.  I'm a little surprised that your brother was telling people and your SIL's family didn't know yet.  I'm sure if you didn't say anyhing, someone else would have. 

xxLukesMamaxx
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:26 AM

That is why I ASSumed everyone knew already... I should have made sure first though.. I know the first time they got pregnant, she was still pretty early and they sent announcements out in the mail. Then they had a miscarriage and had to tell everyone they lost the baby. I know that was really hard for them and I understand them trying to keep in on the DL it just seemed like everyone knew by the way they were talking about it. This will NOT happen again. Huge FAIL on my part! 

VintageWife
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I wouldn't beat myself up about it if I were you. It's odd they have told everyone in their lives except her family (which are usually the first people you tell...the mom's family). Anyway, they should have started with something like, "We're expecting! We couldn't wait to tell you, but please don't tell anyone else yet. We aren't ready for EVERYONE to know."

aneela
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM

she seemed to respond pretty well and dont get too down on yourself for it...stuff happens ...i came close to doing something like that but actually didnt

Liansmommie
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:29 PM

It's an honest mistake

earthangel1967
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:58 PM

No "I" didnt I am an exceptional secret keeper I even found out the sex of my last 2 babies and my ex didnt want to know preferred to be surprised so I even hid it from HIM and since others shouldnt know before him I didnt tell anyone else the entire pregnancies  I was really proud of myself lol

earthangel1967
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 12:00 AM

What DID happen though is when I got pregnant with my 3rd child I was so excited I wanted to tell someone before my ex got home and so I told my then 3 and 4 yr old son and daughter and told them DONT TELL DAD I want to tell him ok? They were all excited and said ok, and then he wasnt even all the way in the door yet and they BOTH ran to him at the same time screaming MOMMIES GONNA HAVE A BABY lol hahaha we all laughed about it though

earthangel1967
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 12:00 AM

hugsI think you are being wayyyyyy too hard on yourself It's going to be fine. HUGS

lenoxclan
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 9:43 AM

EEK! LOL

Umm I have never that I can recall..

But, I agree with Court..Why did your whole family get to know but not hers?!?! I would have assumed they knew too..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)