Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Mom Gives Her 'Alcoholic' 4-Year-Old Beer at the Playground. Say what??

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 3:06 PM
  • 19 Replies

Words escape me!

Mom Gives Her 'Alcoholic' 4-Year-Old Beer at the Playground

on Jul 22, 2011

There are good moms, bad moms, and then moms who force their 4-year-olds to chug beer on the playground in front of a crowd and have 10-month-old daughters who are not breastfed but still manage to test positive for cocaine. The third kind deserves her own category, no?

This is a true story and happened in Connecticut this week. The mom,
Juliette Dunn, said her son loves beer and she joked on the playground that he is already an alcoholic. Meanwhile she has "no idea" why her 10-month-old tested positive for cocaine, especially since she isn't breastfed.

This story is so wrong and despicable in so many ways, but perhaps most idiotic of all was that this woman felt the need to do all this in public. Did she really think no one would report her? Playground mommies report people for Twinkies. I am pretty sure the only reason any mom goes to the playground is to watch other moms and feel superior. And in this case, those mommies got it right.

There are times the whole "it takes a village" concept goes too far, like when one parent "helpfully" suggests to another that their snack is too sugary or when they look your child up and down and shake their head slowly, as though horrified by what they have seen.

Those are the times we want to say, "Shut up and mind your business!" But then there are also times when such conscientiousness saves us. Living in a city, sometimes it's easy to just ignore everything around you.

If I see two people fighting, I stay out of it. I tend to think everyone needs to stay out of everyone else's way, and if someone seems insane, I especially want to stay away. But one mom at the park flagged down a police officer. As the police approached the woman, they saw an empty 40-ounce bottle of Steel Reserve beer on the ground beside the boy and she had used it to fill the boy's baby bottle (and yes, 4 years old is too old to use a bottle, but that is beside the point). 

According to police, the boy told a social worker he likes "Natural Ice beer, Budweiser beer, but didn't like the taste of Dog-Bite beer." In this case, the good samaritan who intervened was clearly in the right and probably saved these poor children from pretty dismal futures.

But it's hard to know when to intervene. This was such a clear case of right and wrong, but honestly, I am not sure I would have reported it. I am not sure I would trust what I was seeing. After all, how insane does one have to be to give beer to a preschooler in a public park? It seems almost impossible.

Would you have reported it?

by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinangels
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Yes, i would have, and the baby may have gotten surface exposure to cocaine if mom is using. 

LindaClement
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 3:38 PM

In England and Scotland (that was the extent of the research, not the whole list of countries) it is legal for 5yos to drink 'in the privacy of their own homes' (which is extended to include picnic sites, but no longer the Metro subway system. It is legal for 16yos to purchase beer, wine and cider in stores to drink in the privacy of their homes, and  to drink in pubs and restaurants --wine, beer or cider-- along with a meal. It is legal for everyone over 19 to buy anything they want, and drink it anywhere at all (except the Metro.)

Until clean water supplies were the norm in Europe, the only people who didn't drink 'small beer' and wine every day died at a very young age. Water was for cooking...and boiling to make tea or coffee --which were also routinely drunk by people at every age. 

TexasWife
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 4:20 PM

speechless.

lenoxclan
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 5:47 PM

SMH

TheJerseyGirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2011 at 5:56 PM

What a pig! I sure would've reported it!

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jul. 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM

omg

aneela
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 6:01 PM

thank that lady for getting that cop...those poor kids!!

aneela
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 6:01 PM

the volume of insanity that exists in the world is incredible

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Jul. 22, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Yes, I would have reported it.

websorceress
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 8:24 PM

her kids should be taken from her..........she needs treatment for sure.........and yes, I would have reported her..........

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)