Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Aubree 13 months

So my daughter has a birthmark on her nose. Although shaped like a heart I'm confused with what I should do. Even though i think she is precious with it i know when she gets older she will not appreciate having such a big spot on her little nose. So should I have it removed? If i do it will be when she is around 2. It would be considered cosmetic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 11:58 AM
Replies (11-20):
Kristin42010
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 2:03 PM
Thank you too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
betsystipo
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I'd agree that for her in the future it'd be best to have it removed, but I wonder how the scar will be....just another thing to explain.  Is it a hemangioma (sp?)?

betsystipo
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 8:29 PM

And I agree w/ the others - She is adorable!

xxLukesMamaxx
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Definitely talk to your doctor and get his/her opinion. My daughter had a birthmark (it was red) on her arm and on the back of her head. The one of the back of her head was raised when she was a baby. Now they both are flat and barely visible. The doctor said they will be completely gone by the time she is 5. She's 3 now. If the mark is red it will probably go away, if it is brown it will probably stay forever. Definitely talk to your doctor first and get a professional's opinion. 

TruthSeeker.
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Quoting Kristin42010:

I talked to her doctor and it has gotten a little bit smaller so i want to wait to see if it might go away. I just hate when people always ask me what happened to her nose. I can only imagine what people will say to her in school. Or when she is old enough to understand.

Is it red and raised? If so, it's more than likely a very common birthmark called a Hemangioma. They grow rapidly for the first year or so and by 18 months they regress and start to fade again and by school age are usually completely gone. It is so small I wouldn't do anything to it. If you do, she may also end up needing a bit of reconstrucive surgery and it could leave a scar.

My daughter had one of these types of birthmarks. Unfortunately, hers grew very large rather quickly. Our only option was to remove it because it had started bleeding(they won't hurt the child if they bleed as they are not attached to any major vessels), but my daughters was causing her discomfort and she would not roll over because of it. At almost 6 months we had it removed by a plastic surgeon.

This is what it looked like a month before we had it removed. It had actually gotten bigger than this.

Kristin42010
by on Jul. 30, 2011 at 2:05 PM
Yes it is a hemangioma. It is raised and red. She wasn't born with it which I found rather weird. I had also talked to the doctor and she told me to atleast wait until she is 2 so I can see if it starts to fade. There is a surgeon in ky that specializes in their removal and he can take it off with little to no scarring at all. Truthseeker I'm sorry your daughter had to go threw that. It looks very painful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristin42010
by on Jul. 30, 2011 at 2:05 PM
Thank you! :)

Quoting betsystipo:

And I agree w/ the others - She is adorable!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by on Jul. 30, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Quoting Kristin42010:

Yes it is a hemangioma. It is raised and red. She wasn't born with it which I found rather weird. I had also talked to the doctor and she told me to atleast wait until she is 2 so I can see if it starts to fade. There is a surgeon in ky that specializes in their removal and he can take it off with little to no scarring at all. Truthseeker I'm sorry your daughter had to go threw that. It looks very painful.

Thank you. She is ok and has a thin 11 inch scar across her back that she will always have, but she doesn't even remember. When we were at the Plastic surgeons office there were other kids there with them and one little boy had them all over his head:(  Your daughter is very lucky to have such a tiny one. I hope it fades and she does not require surgery!! 

Kristin42010
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 9:29 AM
Thank you! I hope it does also it just really upsets me and I don't want her to think that i think she is imperfect with it and that is why it was removed. I guess I'm more worried about her feelings but I would like to do it before she can remember it. Just incase.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Kristin42010:

Thank you. She is ok and has a thin 11 inch scar across her back that she will always have, but she doesn't even remember. When we were at the Plastic surgeons office there were other kids there with them and one little boy had them all over his head:(  Your daughter is very lucky to have such a tiny one. I hope it fades and she does not require surgery!! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babowes
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 8:36 AM
I would wait a bit bc she will grow and it may get smaller.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)