Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should Hot Dogs come with a warning label? Poll

Poll

Question: do you eat hot dogs?

Options:

yes,,I love a good dog

Sometimes. They're good at a cookout or a ball game.

Very rarely. If I'm desperate or have an unusual craving.

Not at all.

I did before I read this

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 25

View Results

Should hot dogs come with a warning label?

Nonprofit group says consumers should view the popular summer food as a health risk on par with cigarettes.

Tue, Jul 26 2011 at 5:31 PM EST

hot dogs Photo: Flickr/Creative Commons
We all know the damage that cigarettes can cause to our health, but should hot dogs be given the same cold shoulder? According to the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, a nonprofit that advocates for a plant-based diet and preventative medicine, that answer is yes - and this is but one of many processed foods that are slowly killing us.

The group released a billboard near the Indianapolis Motor Speedway featuring several hot dogs in a cigarette box with a skull and crossbones on the front. It reads: "Warning: Hot dogs can wreck your health," and is meant to make race fans think twice about eating the popular food.
An estimated 62 percent of Americans eat some form of processed pork, with the average person eating 32 pounds a year!
"A hot dog a day could send you to an early grave," says PCRM nutrition education director Susan Levin, M.S., R.D. "Processed meats like hot dogs can increase your risk for diabetes, heart disease and various types of cancer. Like cigarettes, hot dogs should come with a warning label that helps racing fans and other consumers understand the health risk."
While some might chalk this up as a publicity stunt by a pro-vegetarian group, the science linking processed meats to an increase in cancer risk is rather convincing. A 2007 study using data from the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) and the World Cancer Research Fund found that consuming just 50 grams of processed meat (think one hot dog) daily increases the risk of colorectal cancer, on average, by 21 percent.
It gets worse. As MNN blogger Chanie Kirschner recently pointed out, a 2005 study at the University of Hawaii linked consumption of processed meats to a 67 percent increase in the risk for pancreatic cancer. Researchers, however, were quick to point out that the link may have more to do with the way the processed meats are prepared, rather than their contents.
Either way, moderation should be the overarching theme of any healthy diet. If you're one of those Americans averaging over 32 pounds of processed pork annually, consider cutting back or eliminating that habit altogether. If you're at the ballpark or other sports venue, also try and seek out some kind of healthier alternative - like a black bean burger or fresh salad.

The PhOtO bOoTh Love photography? just learning or experienced...we have it all here+contests and more!

by on Jul. 30, 2011 at 9:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
thenguyenclan
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM

everything in this world is potentially bad for you.....if the FDA really wants to put a label on it then that's fine by me....but it wont stop the kids in this world from eating hot dogs though because it's such a kid staple....

Peanutx3
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM

No warning label.  I just read the list of ingredients.  I was going to buy some for my kids as a treat and was shocked to find how many of them had high fructose corn syrup in them.  I was shocked.  I ended up not buying any.

johnny4ever
Today at 5:59 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Aug. 4, 2011 at 4:25 PM

not a fan of them

Kristin42010
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 5:05 PM
Imo they should have a choking hazard on them since so many children choke on them. However ingredients speak for themselves if you don't like it don't buy it. Just don't ruin it for everyone else that like a good cooked hot dog every now and then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I think that people need a stupidity label

armywife1229
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Should life come with a warning label? I mean, come on. 

seraphimsong
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Seriously

Quoting armywife1229:

Should life come with a warning label? I mean, come on. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WillsMOM72
by on Aug. 7, 2011 at 7:51 AM
I rarely eat thembut my son and husband love them. I only buy the Oscar Mayer turkey franks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by on Aug. 7, 2011 at 5:04 PM
This whole "everything is gonna kill you" BS that is going on lately is ridiculous...

Ofcourse if you eat a hot dog every day you're not gonna be in the best health... But the same can be said for eating too much of anything....

No warning label.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yasbobari
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 6:14 AM
Agree but it should have the choking label. Numerous kids have died bc apparently moms do.t cut them properly or don't supervise them whie eating them.

We rarely eat them though.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

This whole "everything is gonna kill you" BS that is going on lately is ridiculous...

Ofcourse if you eat a hot dog every day you're not gonna be in the best health... But the same can be said for eating too much of anything....

No warning label.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN