Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

:( We hit and killed a dog :(

Posted by   + Show Post
So my DH hit a small dog that ran out in the road. I'm positive it's dead. I feel awful. It's got me thinking about how do people handle this? Do you keep going and forget it? Do you stop and trying to get the animal off the road? Will you trying to find the owner to alert them to the accident?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 30, 2011 at 10:20 PM
Replies (21-25):
Pink-Diamond
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Recently I was on a farm to Market road going to a friends house when a lady/girl wizzed passed me going in the opposite direction but obviously going much too fast. As I topped the hill I noticed a dog in the middle of the road wiggling around trying to get up which she finally did and limmped to the side of the road and into a pasture. I stopped, being the nice person that I am, and tryed for more than 30 minutes to get her to come to me. She kept turning and going further away into the pasture. I went to nearby homes which were few and far between but no luck with owners. I tried once more to coax her to me but again, failed. I couldn't stay there forever so I went on. I really hope she was only bummped and bruised and nothing worse.

When I was a teen I was driving on the same Farm to Market road and hit a dog that ran in front of me and it was obvious it wasn't my fault, and there was nothing I could do. I did slam on my brrakes to attempt to miss it but I felt it slide under my little car. It got up, ran away, no yelping, or anything. I was shaken up. There was a country guy wearing old overalls who was walking out of his house to see what all the fuss was about. I explained I had hit a dog, described the dog to him and this was his answer: "Aww, he'll be okay. If he got up he ain't hurt too bad." I was thinking internal injuries, adrenaline rush, broken bone or two, head trauma... but I don't know. All I could do was hope the dog was okay.

Now I am sad.

Absence diminishes small loves and increases great ones, as the wind blows out the candle and fans the bonfire.

-Francois de La Rouchefoucauld

Pink-Diamond
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM

I would like to add that living in the city has its perks since you don't see pets roaming around too often. But when I lived in the country, you sasw them loose all the time and dead ones on the side of the roads and highways. It always breaks my heart to see that.

Absence diminishes small loves and increases great ones, as the wind blows out the candle and fans the bonfire.

-Francois de La Rouchefoucauld

LindaClement
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Here, all dogs have (by law) identifying tags --name, phone number, unique animal number and address. Finding the owner is easy.

Being the kind of bag I am, I'd call them and make it clear that I'm considering suing for the damage to my car --dogs are required to be under their owners' control at all times in our country. 100% of the damage they do to anyone or anything when outside their owners' control is their owners' responsibility.

Dani_Lynn
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 9:13 AM
You do know that if it caused any damages to the car, the pet owner is liable because they did not have control over their animal. Does it suck their pet is dead? Yep. But it don't negate that the owners are ultimately at fault for having their animal at large.

Quoting maciymommieof3:

OMG....How do you just keep on driving? It is someone's pet. I am sure it has tags and maybe even micro chipped...Its the same as a hit and run...IMO

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 11:19 AM

((hugs))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)