Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Updated pneumococcal vaccine

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 11:43 AM
  • 10 Replies

DS just went for his 3 year check-up and had to get a new shot. :( We weren't prepared for this, but apparenlty the new pneumococcal vaccine was developed in 2010 and now covers 13 strains of the virus as opposed to the old vaccine which only covered 7. All children under the age of 5 who got the old shot (before 2010) are being recommended to get the new one. That was my child. :(

He handled it well, no tears, but spiked a good fever last night and has a very sore arm. 

Just didn't want anyone to be surprised if you are heading to the doctor soon!

by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peanutx3
by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Aug. 5, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Thanks for the heads up. No one here is due any time soon, but it is good to know there is a new one out there.

Dani_Lynn
by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 2:22 PM
It's a Prevnar booster. It's not mandatory, but recommended at this point. I'm sure schools will start mandating it soon, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thenguyenclan
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 11:33 PM

aaww...poor baby....hope he feels better!!

and thanks for the heads up!  ....

armywife1229
by on Aug. 7, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Well, we're now 3 days post shot and his arm is still sore. He has an half-moon shaped red mark on his arm under the shot that is warm to the touch. DH says he had the same thing when he got his last tetanus shot. He seems to be ok this morning, but at night and when he's tired, he's a pill. 

I wish they had told me all these side effects, I would have postponed the shot until after his birthday weekend.

ecagle
by on Aug. 7, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Awww...poor baby :(  My middle child always spikes high fevers when he gets vaccines and is very allergic to motrin/aspirin products...anyways...doctor has stopped vaxing him at the moment because of that ;)

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Aug. 7, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

It's a Prevnar booster. It's not mandatory, but recommended at this point. I'm sure schools will start mandating it soon, though.

Even if schools mandate it, you don't have to get it. All you have to do is request an immunization waiver from the state and have it notorized. 

Maddies_mom101
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 1:15 AM

never knew about this ..... thanks for the heads up

yasbobari
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 6:03 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yasbobari
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 6:03 AM

Quoting thenguyenclan:

aaww...poor baby....hope he feels better!!

and thanks for the heads up!  ....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN