Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How did you talk about race with your kids?

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM
  • 18 Replies

I know it's vital for me to talk to my kids about race as they get older since they are mixed Caucasian and Mexican. I have no idea where to even begin though.

How did you talk to your kids about it? If you haven't yet, do you have any plans about how to introduce and talk about the topic with your kids?

by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peanutx3
by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM

We really haven't had a talk with the kids.  We have always taught our kids that while we are all different we are still all people. 

PEEK05
by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 12:24 PM

My oldest is only 2 so I don't even know what age is good to start talking about it.

Peanutx3
by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I would say it is a good time to start.  They will start soon to notice that people look different. 

lovinangels
by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I don't know that I sat down and talked about race, per say. I do fix different foods and use that to discuss culture. I make killer paella and arroz con pollo, for instance. 

I also make a point to make a traditional meal on holidays and discuss different religions that way.

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Aug. 5, 2011 at 1:42 PM

We actually haven't had a sit down convo about it. We usually talk about it when the issue comes up. For instance, when it is questioned why the little girl down the road has darker skin than we do. 

We are a mixed family as well since my husband is mixed. The only issue we have had is my son asking why his abuela speaks Spanish....lol. 

rkoloms
by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 8:15 PM

People come in all shapes and sizes.

Other than two horrible years in private school (Mommy, why does everyone here have light skin?), my daughter has been in very diverse schools, and is truly colorblind

PEEK05
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 12:14 PM

We live in an area where it's not so diverse. This is from wikipedia.

The racial makeup of the city was 84.81% White, 2.50% African American, 0.97% Native American, 4.51% Asian, 0.54% Pacific Islander, 2.86% from other races, and 3.80% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.29% of the population. 16.4% were of German, 9.2% English, 8.4% Irish and 7.9% American ancestry according to Census 2000.

Quoting rkoloms:

People come in all shapes and sizes.

Other than two horrible years in private school (Mommy, why does everyone here have light skin?), my daughter has been in very diverse schools, and is truly colorblind

BeachMommy07
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 1:51 PM

We haven't had the conversation my son has friends from all over. He never asks and he's learning spanish which is awesome at 4

Michelle0810
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 2:30 PM

With my oldest I just told him that we are all people. It doesn't matter about skin color. The same with disabilities. Just because someone looks different doesn't make them any less of a person. We are all the same inside.

armywife1229
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Not sure. I guess when he notices that people are differnet. So far he hasn't, but he has been around all races, shapes, and sizes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)