Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I have a couple questions....

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM
  • 12 Replies

I have a couple questions, all different "subjects" just thought I would put them into one post.

1) I recently had a baby shower and I am writing out thank you cards. Everyone was beyond generous that I feel bad just writing a card. I want to make a small thank you gift or favor. Anybody have any ideas?

2) I am 34 weeks pregnant and we are preparing for baby. When did you pack your bag for the hospital and what did you pack? What did you pack for baby?

love you sign

by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 16, 2011 at 11:48 AM
Hmmm.. Ill think about the gift thing and get back to you.

I packed around 36 weeks, because I was having some crazy medical issues. I basically spent the last month in and out of the hospital. With my son I packed around 38 weeks.

For me:
Shampoo, conditioner, soap, mouthwash, chapstick, a brush, toothbrush/paste, hairties, hard candies, crossword puzzles, camera, batteries, cell phone charger, nursing pads, stool softener (I wish I had known how painful the first one was going to be after my first baby, yikes!) and I think that's it lol.

For baby:
Baby book (for footprints and writing important info), coming home outfit, an extra hat and those no scratch mittens, a blanket, and baby wipes. A lot of hospitals give out dry wipes and those things are a pain!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USAFamily
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM

When I had my first, I packed waaaaay early lol. I am not sure when exactly, but it was soon.

For me I packed:

PJs

Slipper Socks (great while your in stirrups or pushing)

Brush, tooth brush, lotion, wet wipe (to sponge off the yuck before I could shower), tooth paste, contact lens case and solution, glasses.

Pillow/blanket (I liked having extra)

Magazines

change for vending machines

For the baby I brought the outfit to take her home in, and her diaper bag with diapers/wipes (though I didn't need them). A blanket, and don't forget the carseat!

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I would give out thank you notes but that's just me. They gave you the presents because they cared about you/baby, not for something in return. :)

I packed my bag the first time about a couple weeks out but the second time I packed the diaper bag and not my bag weeks before I needed to.

mrsnoble2004
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Hmm...How about re-loadable gift cards with your baby's picture on them? I think I packed around seven months, but to be honest I can't remember. I know with my youngest I completely forgot to do the bag and dh and to run home and grab everything for me.

LindaClement
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 3:36 PM

1. When does that end? If you write a card that is more than 'thanks you so much for the ____, it's lovely and I'll use it every _____' genuine appreciation and gratitude are a real gift. Really think about it. Why do you love it? What will you use it for? Write a short piece about the specifics of this gift and why you feel it is so generous. 

2. I used the list my midwife gave me. I didn't include a bunch of the suggestions (music, 'cause noise bothers me when I'm concentrating), but packed toward the end of the 7th month.

Love060708kids
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 4:05 PM

1.) Maybe a handmade card or a personalized letter, thanking them?

2.) I had my bag ready to go at 36 weeks :)  I packed more than what I needed

USAFamily
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I liek that idea. Just a nice personal touch would make the Thank You notes more meaningful!

Quoting Love060708kids:

1.) Maybe a handmade card or a personalized letter, thanking them?

2.) I had my bag ready to go at 36 weeks :)  I packed more than what I needed

usmclife58
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM

1) A thank you card is plenty. Just make sure it is personal (you mention you were glad to see them, or missed seeing them if they were not there; be sure to mention the gift, and how you look forward to using it "I know that Baby will feel very cozy in the beautiful pink blanket you have given")

2) I procrastinate, so I was packing the day I was going to the hospital I was 36w with my first, and 37w with my second. I thought I had time. So, 34w minght not be a bad idea, lol!
I packed something for me to go home in, something for baby to go home in. Bathroom things (toothbrush, shampoo, etc). I packed slippers to walk around the room. A camera (YOU NEED THIS!!!). Everything else, I used from the hospital. They are going to charge you for them anyway, so why not? 

thenguyenclan
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:27 AM

um ive never had a baby shower before...so i have no idea what to give as thank you presents...

and i just remembered to pack a couple of outfits for baby, a camera (must have!)  charger for camera and cell phones...keys...and whatever toiletries you need :-) 

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I would only send a thank you card. They don't expect anything extra in return.  I packed early because I was single and on bed rest. I brought a girl outfit and a boy(just in case) but it wasn't needed :) .. For me I just packed a couple outfits, slippers, some movies to watch, magazines, toiletries,  and that might be about it. I knew all food and drinks at the hospital would be free and I knew there was a tv and dvd player in each room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN