Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Stranger danger S/o What do I look like a child molester or something?

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 11:51 AM
  • 21 Replies

I've been living in this neighborhood for a little over a year now. I don't know all my neighbors really well but I'm on a nodding acquaintance with most of them.

So I'm outside yesterday watching my kids play when a neighbor kid (About 8) rides down the street on a dirt bike. He rides his bike up and down the street a few times, my 6yo is drooling! lol. As he comes back around I walk up to the side walk and tell him that his bike is really cool. Then I asked how long he's had it. The poor kid froze! He just stood there with wide eyes then he gunned the engine and took off up the street to his house. He didn't come down again.

I felt bad so I walked up to his house to talk to his dad. I told him that I think I may have scared his son. I didn't mean to I was just asking about his bike. His dad just looked at me then said, "My boy knows not to talk to adults." I'm thinking, okay then...it's not like I'm a stranger. Hell my dd and his sister have played together a few times. I understand being cautious around adults but come on. It's not like I tried to grab him or invited him into my house. Seriously if this is how his dad is raising him, he's going to end up neurotic.

by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Stranger Danger taken too far...

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2011 at 12:27 PM

It could also be that the child is just shy. My kids have been told to come to the house if someone they don't know trys to talk to them. My son is shy and doesn't like talking to people much anyways and he is 8

ecagle
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Yeah, the child could just be shy or nervous around adults he doesn't know well

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Aug. 16, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I wouldn't feel too bad about it. I'm the mean mom at the end of the street that doesn't let her children run all over the neighborhood unsupervised.

Love060708kids
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Wow

LOswald0314
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:30 AM

Weird.

LivinDeadGurl
Starting a new job next month! So excited!
Wednesday at 11:56 PM
by Maranda on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Well technically, you are a stranger. Just because you nod at one another once in a while doesn't mean they know you. 

paganbaby
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:09 PM

I'm the same way,lol.

But my kids do say hi to our neighbors.

Quoting mrsnoble2004:

I wouldn't feel too bad about it. I'm the mean mom at the end of the street that doesn't let her children run all over the neighborhood unsupervised.

paganbaby
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Absolutely, I agree.

But the thing is, this child needs to learn how to interact with strangers also. When he buys something from the grocery store, asks a librarian for a book, says good morning to the crossing guard, ect.

By teaching him to fear any adult that he's not intimately acquainted with, his father is going to cripple him. Not to mention he's teaching him awful manners.

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

Well technically, you are a stranger. Just because you nod at one another once in a while doesn't mean they know you. 

paganbaby
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:15 PM

So would you tell your son to come inside if your next door neighbor said hello?

Quoting othermom:

It could also be that the child is just shy. My kids have been told to come to the house if someone they don't know trys to talk to them. My son is shy and doesn't like talking to people much anyways and he is 8

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)