Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stranger danger S/o What do I look like a child molester or something?

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been living in this neighborhood for a little over a year now. I don't know all my neighbors really well but I'm on a nodding acquaintance with most of them.

So I'm outside yesterday watching my kids play when a neighbor kid (About 8) rides down the street on a dirt bike. He rides his bike up and down the street a few times, my 6yo is drooling! lol. As he comes back around I walk up to the side walk and tell him that his bike is really cool. Then I asked how long he's had it. The poor kid froze! He just stood there with wide eyes then he gunned the engine and took off up the street to his house. He didn't come down again.

I felt bad so I walked up to his house to talk to his dad. I told him that I think I may have scared his son. I didn't mean to I was just asking about his bike. His dad just looked at me then said, "My boy knows not to talk to adults." I'm thinking, okay then...it's not like I'm a stranger. Hell my dd and his sister have played together a few times. I understand being cautious around adults but come on. It's not like I tried to grab him or invited him into my house. Seriously if this is how his dad is raising him, he's going to end up neurotic.

by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 11:51 AM
Replies (11-20):
splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:16 PM
I agree. But I think there needs to be some sort of middle ground. Eventually the kid is going to have to interact with adults he doesn't know.

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

Well technically, you are a stranger. Just because you nod at one another once in a while doesn't mean they know you. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Those examples are totally different though. You were some women who was standing at the side of the road trying to talk to him. Those are the kinds of people that kids are supposed to avoid. No?

I fully agree that children need to not fear and run from EVERY adult, but a grocery store clerk and someone on the side of the road are different ballparks.

Quoting paganbaby:

Absolutely, I agree.

But the thing is, this child needs to learn how to interact with strangers also. When he buys something from the grocery store, asks a librarian for a book, says good morning to the crossing guard, ect.

By teaching him to fear any adult that he's not intimately acquainted with, his father is going to cripple him. Not to mention he's teaching him awful manners.

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

Well technically, you are a stranger. Just because you nod at one another once in a while doesn't mean they know you. 

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:28 PM

I didn't say he didn't. However, wouldn't you rather your child be safe than sorry?

Quoting splatz:

I agree. But I think there needs to be some sort of middle ground. Eventually the kid is going to have to interact with adults he doesn't know.

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

lovinangels
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:43 PM

betcha his mom is on cm and a militant formula feeder. That's it, your out forever ;)

PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Wow maybe he could have introduced himself and had a conversation with you so you were no longer a stranger.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Shy or not its a bit much...and his dad seems like kind of a jerk!

paganbaby
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM

But I wasn't some strange woman standing by the side of the road.

I was a familiar neighborhood mom, standing on the side walk 4 houses down from his own house.

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

Those examples are totally different though. You were some women who was standing at the side of the road trying to talk to him. Those are the kinds of people that kids are supposed to avoid. No?

I fully agree that children need to not fear and run from EVERY adult, but a grocery store clerk and someone on the side of the road are different ballparks.

Quoting paganbaby:

Absolutely, I agree.

But the thing is, this child needs to learn how to interact with strangers also. When he buys something from the grocery store, asks a librarian for a book, says good morning to the crossing guard, ect.

By teaching him to fear any adult that he's not intimately acquainted with, his father is going to cripple him. Not to mention he's teaching him awful manners.

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

paganbaby
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:14 PM

rolling on floor

Quoting lovinangels:

betcha his mom is on cm and a militant formula feeder. That's it, your out forever ;)

paganbaby
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:16 PM

That's the thing. I'm not even a stranger,lol.

I've lived down the street from this kid and his family for over a year. My daughter has played at his house before.

Quoting PEEK05:

Wow maybe he could have introduced himself and had a conversation with you so you were no longer a stranger.

paganbaby
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I agree,lol!

Quoting Pammi86:

Shy or not its a bit much...and his dad seems like kind of a jerk!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)