Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do You Buy Cheap Honey? PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM
  • 14 Replies

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/08/honey-laundering/

Asian Honey, Banned in Europe, Is Flooding U.S. Grocery Shelves

FDA has the laws needed to keep adulterated honey off store shelves but does little, honey industry says.

A third or more of all the honey consumed in the U.S. is likely to have been smuggled in from China and may be tainted with illegal antibiotics and heavy metals.  A Food Safety News investigation has documented that millions of pounds of honey banned as unsafe in dozens of countries are being imported and sold here in record quantities. 

And the flow of Chinese honey continues despite assurances from the Food and Drug Administration and other federal officials that the hundreds of millions of pounds reaching store shelves were authentic and safe following the widespread arrests and convictions of major smugglers over the last two years.

Thumbnail image for honeycomb406.jpgExperts interviewed by Food Safety News say some of the largest and most long-established U.S. honey packers are knowingly buying mislabeled, transshipped or possibly altered honey so they can sell it cheaper than those companies who demand safety, quality and rigorously inspected honey. 

Do you eat honey? Do you buy local, or specialty honey, or just 'whatever's cheapest'?
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I used to buy 'whatever'... after reading this, I'm going to be a LOT more careful!

splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM
We don't buy honey.

That's pretty crazy though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bramamber
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Quoting LindaClement:

I used to buy 'whatever'... after reading this, I'm going to be a LOT more careful!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peanutx3
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I have always bought a name brand honey.  I don't do cheap honey.  When I was a kid my mom bought Silverbow honey which was local for us.  Yummy.

LindaClement
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:24 PM

We used to buy local fireweed honey... but the whole operation got sold to a huge conglomerate and moved pretty much everything to Mexico. It was spun off again, and recently went bankrupt. Hopefully, the former staff who bought up the assets will bring it back as 'local'...

Quoting Peanutx3:

I have always bought a name brand honey.  I don't do cheap honey.  When I was a kid my mom bought Silverbow honey which was local for us.  Yummy.

WillsMOM72
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM
I buy whatevers cheapest
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
naominpipermom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM
My grandma raises bees I always come home with a mason jar full when ever we visit
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armywife1229
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I buy local honey. I haven't thought of it much.

Andeigh
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I don't buy honey, no one likes it here.

mrsnoble2004
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I tried the cheap stuff once and didn't care for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)