Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Bad news... **Update**

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM
  • 19 Replies

Update: 08/19 I got a call yesterday from the Vo Tech preschool saying that Landon was accepted. I took him with me to get registered since DH was sleeping. We pull up to the school and Landon immediately wants to know why we're here so I told him. The poor guy asks, "Why can't I go to the blue school?" (the other preschool) I feel bad for him but oh well, he'll be in pre-k! :) Landon will start about the second week of September and go Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 9-11:30.

Early today I recieved a call from the elementary school Landon was to attend. They asked me to go to the USD building and fill out paperwork to make sure we qualified for free lunches rather than reduced. I go in, fill out paperwork... the lady asked if I added in my husband's overtime hours and I said no. She then informs me that my husband makes $150 TOO MUCH and therefore Landon will not be able to attend preschool with them. The lady was super nice about it and felt horrible but it was all I could do to keep from crying. We qualifed in February when I originally applied to the program. :/

We might be able to get him into a Vo Tech preschool but that costs $$ and even then they're not sure if there's enough room. The original program Landon was supposed to get in to is called the Stepping Stones program. It's designed for 'at risk' preschoolers. In order to get in you have to:
1. Qualify for free lunches
2. Be a teen parent
3. Be an immigrant/or ESL
4. Child has to have a disablity

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head right now. If Landon doesn't get in to the Vo Tech one my husband and I have talked about getting a Pre-K program and doing it ourselves or having his speech evaluated again. He can't say things like 'Spray' or 'willow' or 'tooth'.

There's no real point to this... I just needed to get it off my  chest. Im pretty disappointed and still a little upset over the whole thing. We've been pumping him up all summer long about going to school. :(

Click on me to see what it's all about!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:58 PM
Awww I'm sorry that sucks hun! I hope there is some way you guys are able to figure something out. There has to be other free options out there to help with his speech. Do you have a parents as teachers around you? They are a great place for resources!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I will have to look into the PAT to see if there's one around here. If there is indeed an issue with his speech then the Stepping Stones HAS to take him regardless of our income. It seems like a shotty way to get him into preschool though. We had him evaluated once before and he did well on everything but articulation or something like that. We were to have him re-evaluated but never had the chance to.

Miss-B
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM

im sorry

Love060708kids
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Aww i'm sorry :(  

usmclife58
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I'm sorry :(

lovinangels
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:12 AM

I'm sorry.

LOswald0314
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Sorry :(

When was the last time his speech was evaluated by an SLP?

midnight_storm
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:48 AM
I'm so sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
naominpipermom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:04 AM
Im sorry hun here's a bump for ya
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:19 AM

I believe it was May of last year. I was working at the time so my MIL took him in for the evaluation.

Quoting LOswald0314:

Sorry :(

When was the last time his speech was evaluated by an SLP?

Click on me to see what it's all about!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)