Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Sleep training

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 6:40 PM
  • 11 Replies

Since Lexi hit 12-13 months I have been putting her in her crib, turning on some music, and letting her go to sleep on her own. The first nap is usually the easiest for me...usually she'll lay right down and drift off to sleep. Then the next nap she fusses for 5-10 minutes until she falls asleep but come bedtime at night... HOLY COW. She will cry and cry and cry as if I'm abandoning her. I'd rather no rock her to sleep but some nights I dont know what to do other than let her cry. I feel horrible but at the same time I can't help but wonder why this pattern has gone on when I've been doing this for 2-3 weeks. Maybe more. Lol. Lexi and Landon share a room right now so I'm afraid her fussing for such a long time will interfer with Landon's sleep.

How did/do you sleep train your little ones?

Click on me to see what it's all about!

by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsnoble2004
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I didn't really sleep train mine. I just dealt with the late nights. When everyone hit school age they go to bed at 8:30 like it or not.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I'm not much help. When my dd was little she was a great sleeper. Now that she's 9 I'm having more problems :)

babowes
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:27 PM
Man.....could maybe you let her cry it out.....but give her verbal preparation for it......reassure her with words bf it happens....good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM
Thanks. I tend to give her a little 'pep' talk before her morning nap. Couldn't tell you for sure if I do it at night too. Lol. I wonder if maybe the fa t that it's darker than nap times is a factor? The kids have an electric Gish tank in their bedroom as a night light though so it isn't that dark.

Quoting babowes:

Man.....could maybe you let her cry it out.....but give her verbal preparation for it......reassure her with words bf it happens....good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babowes
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:02 PM
Mabe anew stuffed toy or doll
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 20, 2011 at 11:03 PM
My first was a horrendous sleeper. He didn't sleep good at night until he was over 2.

The little one has slept through the night since a few months old. I lay her down awake and she falls right asleep. A blankie and her fisher price glowing sea horse is all she needs. :)

GL mama! I know how hard it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2011 at 11:49 PM
Thanks. :) Landon was a horrible sleeper until this past year. Lol.

I laid Lexi down about 9 or so and she fell right to sleep. I usually put her down at 8 but bc she had such a late nap I kept her up later. Kids should come with a personalized owners manual!! Haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LOswald0314
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 2:02 AM

My Landon has always been a horrible sleeper and we've always had to rock him to sleep.  He is now 22 months. The good thing is it's taking less time to get him to sleep, only about 10 minutes which isn't a big deal.  Sleep training did not work with him, he'd get so worked up he'd choke so that's not an option.

thenguyenclan
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Quoting mrsnoble2004:

I didn't really sleep train mine. I just dealt with the late nights. When everyone hit school age they go to bed at 8:30 like it or not.

this is us exactly...haha ^_^ 

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2011 at 10:47 AM

When mine was about that age he'd cry so hard he'd vomit so I never tried again. He was well over four years old before he finally learned to fall asleep on his own without being rocked. Thankfully with Lexi she's a tad more easy going and thus far a better sleeper. Once I get her to sleep, that is! :)

Quoting LOswald0314:

My Landon has always been a horrible sleeper and we've always had to rock him to sleep.  He is now 22 months. The good thing is it's taking less time to get him to sleep, only about 10 minutes which isn't a big deal.  Sleep training did not work with him, he'd get so worked up he'd choke so that's not an option.

Click on me to see what it's all about!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN