Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What's everyone watching? Favorite shows?

by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:49 PM
Replies (31-40):
quietmomma
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 2:48 PM

We have comcast "economy" speed internet which I think is around 1mb.  A comcast rep. told me that I couldn't wirelessly stream with this speed because to split that signal would weaken it too much to stream.  My bil--who is also a techy guy--thinks we can do it.  We don't want to pay to increase our internet speed, so this has prevented us from streaming our Netflix which I would really like to do.

Quoting goddess99:

we have at&t dsl 3 mb. Yes we wirelessly stream to everything. Wii is wireless as well.  **my hubby answered these questions, he's the mega geek Not me :) **

Quoting quietmomma:

Do you have to have a pretty fast internet speed to do streaming??  And do you wirelessly stream it or do you have an internet cable hooked up directly to your Wii??

Quoting goddess99:

Yep all 3 of us have a computer and we have a wii and some box thing hooked to our tv in our bedroom. We have all sorts of stuff going at once and we haven't had a problem.

Quoting babowes:

Through wii and one the cmputers all at once huh?!?!?

Quoting goddess99:

We haven't had any streaming problems and alot of times we are all on different things all watching Netflix at the same time. I think it more depends on your internet.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM

my dh said that we are never really at 3mb. So if you are at 1 mb you might be able to stream but it might take a while to buffer and it might stop during the show to buffer. but this is easy to try, just go to hulu.com and play something. It's free and you'll get an idea of what your connection can actually do.

Quoting quietmomma:

We have comcast "economy" speed internet which I think is around 1mb.  A comcast rep. told me that I couldn't wirelessly stream with this speed because to split that signal would weaken it too much to stream.  My bil--who is also a techy guy--thinks we can do it.  We don't want to pay to increase our internet speed, so this has prevented us from streaming our Netflix which I would really like to do.

Quoting goddess99:

we have at&t dsl 3 mb. Yes we wirelessly stream to everything. Wii is wireless as well.  **my hubby answered these questions, he's the mega geek Not me :) **

Quoting quietmomma:

Do you have to have a pretty fast internet speed to do streaming??  And do you wirelessly stream it or do you have an internet cable hooked up directly to your Wii??

Quoting goddess99:

Yep all 3 of us have a computer and we have a wii and some box thing hooked to our tv in our bedroom. We have all sorts of stuff going at once and we haven't had a problem.

Quoting babowes:

Quoting goddess99:

We haven't had any streaming problems and alot of times we are all on different things all watching Netflix at the same time. I think it more depends on your internet.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 21, 2011 at 2:58 PM

good luck :) I know the feeling about prices going up. Our cable started at $20 and when we finally cancelled it was at $50.

Quoting jltplk25:

Yeah it started out at 70-something then it went up to 80, 85, now $88. We have DirectTV. :/

Thanks! I will have to talk to DH and see if this is something we could use.

Quoting goddess99:

$88 a month holy crap lol I know the prices are going up some on Netflix but I believe streaming is $8 a month and dvds will be $8 (minimum) a month as well. But wow if you just got streaming and then used other free sites like hulu you would save $80 a month. 

Quoting jltplk25:

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay to stream/use dvds? We're currently paying $88 a month for satellite and have been thinking about getting rid of it.

quietmomma
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 3:11 PM

thanks!!  I'll try it.

Quoting goddess99:

my dh said that we are never really at 3mb. So if you are at 1 mb you might be able to stream but it might take a while to buffer and it might stop during the show to buffer. but this is easy to try, just go to hulu.com and play something. It's free and you'll get an idea of what your connection can actually do.

Quoting quietmomma:

Quoting goddess99:

Quoting quietmomma:

Quoting goddess99:

Quoting babowes:

Quoting goddess99:

TruthSeeker.
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Just finished the series Jericho!

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 21, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I'm in the middle of watching it. I like it!!

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Just finished the series Jericho!

USAFamily
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 4:27 PM

We just started watching Madmen! I love it so far!

I watched the entire series of Greys Anatomy before that, and had to get Hulu to watch last season lol. I was a tad addicted!

Peanutx3
by on Aug. 22, 2011 at 11:22 AM

We watch a lot of documentaries.  The last one we watched was Blue Gold - World Water Wars.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2011 at 11:26 AM
Thanks! I talked to dh and we decided to cancel our satellite and switch to Netflix. DirectTV offered us a package at $29 a month with a $5 discount for a year but he turned it down.

Quoting goddess99:

good luck :) I know the feeling about prices going up. Our cable started at $20 and when we finally cancelled it was at $50.

Quoting jltplk25:

Yeah it started out at 70-something then it went up to 80, 85, now $88. We have DirectTV. :/

Thanks! I will have to talk to DH and see if this is something we could use.

Quoting goddess99:

$88 a month holy crap lol I know the prices are going up some on Netflix but I believe streaming is $8 a month and dvds will be $8 (minimum) a month as well. But wow if you just got streaming and then used other free sites like hulu you would save $80 a month. 

Quoting jltplk25:

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay to stream/use dvds? We're currently paying $88 a month for satellite and have been thinking about getting rid of it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
timeforprogress
by on Aug. 22, 2011 at 11:36 AM
We pay 19.95 I think it is for two blu rays and streaming. The blu rays are extra, so if you just want DVDs you can get the same package for 3 dollars less.
Not only did we seriously cut our TV budget, but we also haven't felt like buying any movies. Since, in most cases it only takes 2 days to get a movie from the Netflix warehouse, I can see anything I want to. It also saves space, too.

Quoting goddess99:

Quoting jltplk25:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN