Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

If money were no object, would you homeschool?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:40 PM
  • 32 Replies

by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ecagle
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I think proper homeschooling can occur on a limited budget, especially today.  Handwriting sheets can be printed from internet, books can be taken from the library etc.

lovinangels
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:45 PM

supplies aren't the only issue. You have to take into account that some women would have to give up their employment, or half their family's income.

Quoting ecagle:

I think proper homeschooling can occur on a limited budget, especially today.  Handwriting sheets can be printed from internet, books can be taken from the library etc.

ecagle
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:47 PM

True, but then you also normally have to pay for after-school care, school supplies, and other additional expenses when you have two people in the household working. 

Quoting lovinangels:

supplies aren't the only issue. You have to take into account that some women would have to give up their employment, or half their family's income.

Quoting ecagle:

ecagle
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Oh, and my response is: it really depends on the child and situation.  I'm willing to homeschool and love teaching, at the same time, I'm also ok with someone else teaching my children if it's the right situation ;)

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I would homeschool if that's what needed to be done for my daughter. I wouldn't even take money into consideration.

troll.mom
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:50 PM
I would not homeschool regardless, and money is no object... I am a SAHM but I pay for my DD to go to school and if my DS was not on the spectrum he would be going to private school as well...

My understanding bc my DH cousin home school (the weirdest bunch of people you will ever meet) the boys are socially awkward. But besides that... She doesn't spend more than a few hundred dollars a year on home schooling where as private schools cost about $24,000 a year.
lovinangels
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:50 PM

We actually won't have child care expenses, our shifts will be staggered once the youngest is kindergarten.

Quoting ecagle:

True, but then you also normally have to pay for after-school care, school supplies, and other additional expenses when you have two people in the household working. 

Quoting lovinangels:

Quoting ecagle:

ecagle
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I think for us, it's different.  My husband is in the military, so there are times where I'm essentially a single parent...I have to have reliable child care if I'm working...

Quoting lovinangels:

We actually won't have child care expenses, our shifts will be staggered once the youngest is kindergarten.

Quoting ecagle:

Quoting lovinangels:

Quoting ecagle:

LivinDeadGurl
Not feeling well today. Just want to curl up and sleep.
Yesterday at 5:29 PM
by Maranda on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I homeschooled for three years. I worked out fine for us for the time we did it, but our family needs changed and we decided to stop. However, my child who was homeschooled is still at home during the day as she now attends an online public school. 

lovinangels
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 8:01 PM

I've seen those. How is it working out for you?

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I homeschooled for three years. I worked out fine for us for the time we did it, but our family needs changed and we decided to stop. However, my child who was homeschooled is still at home during the day as she now attends an online public school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)