Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Problem child, Help !

Posted by   + Show Post

Ladies I've tried everything from time out to spankings and taken away toys. Nothing seems to help.

Why ! ! !

by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM
Replies (11-17):
Andeigh
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Consistency is key.

LindaClement
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 1:11 AM

I just found a great quote on that topic:

'Consistency just means you're as stupid today as you were last year.'

Making the same mistake every day for 7 years is not an improvement on kids having to deal with upheaval as improved methods are instilled. Upheaval is a natural and unavoidable part of life. No one needs their life to stay the same nearly as much as they need someone who they know loves them unconditionally to support them as they struggle to succeed through it.

Quoting Andeigh:

Consistency is key.

Pammi86
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 1:58 AM

That seems a lil offensive...

Quoting LindaClement:

Making the same mistake every day for 7 years is not an improvement on kids having to deal with upheaval as improved methods are instilled. Upheaval is a natural and unavoidable part of life. No one needs their life to stay the same nearly as much as they need someone who they know loves them unconditionally to support them as they struggle to succeed through it.

Quoting Andeigh:

Consistency is key.

Pammi86
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Knowing the childs age would help us all reply better! But you have to stick to it and just work with the child!  Every kid is different and sometimes there are underlining problems. All in all, I know people say kids will be kids but there has to be a line drawn. More info would be great! : )

LindaClement
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 2:11 AM

I just said it reminded me of a quote... I didn't say it applied to anyone alive. 

Consistency is not all it's cracked up to be. As routinely-given advice for parents I find it lacking because 'whatever's going wrong' is clearly the parent's fault for not being consistent enough. Since there is no upper limit to how much 'enough' might be, a parent is forced to either blame the advice (which is uniformly given from all corners, so it can't be that) or themselves for not being, well, good enough. Parents have too much of that to start with, imo.

Being responsive to the changing understandings, of how the child responds to what is tried, as well as the child's own development as they move toward (and sometimes a little further away) from adulthood is of far more value to living in happy families than doing the same thing that didn't work the last time in the vain hope that it will, at some point in the future, suddenly start helping as advertised.

Quoting Pammi86:

That seems a lil offensive...

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting Andeigh:

Consistency is key.

Pammi86
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM
I agree that sometimes ya need to try something new if what you are doing is not working, however I know plenty of parents who got results with being consistent! It may not work for every child, but it can work for some. I can only personally say what has worked for me and suggest it for others. Everyone does things differently. And I do not agree that is the parents fault in regards to not being consistent enough bc sometimes there are underlining issues!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Umm...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN