Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

'Hot Sauce' mom convicted of child abuse.

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 9:50 AM
  • 16 Replies

I don't know if you all remember this lady, but when her video hit cafemom, her actions were seriously under scrutiny. She also went on Dr. Phil and the show was a big deal too. How do you think she should be sentenced? Or do you think she didn't earn the conviction?

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A woman who squirted hot sauce into the mouth of her adopted Russian son for lying about getting in trouble in school has been convicted of misdemeanor child abuse in what prosecutors said was a ploy to get on the "Dr. Phil" TV show.

Jessica Beagley, 36, made a videotape of how she punished the boy and submitted it to the show. The tape shows Beagley yelling at the crying boy, then tipping his chin up and pouring hot sauce in his mouth.

Beagley then had the screaming boy stand in a cold shower for sword-fighting with pencils in school.

Both actions were recorded on a videotape submitted to the "Dr. Phil" show. Anchorage police got calls from viewers after the show aired last October.

Neither Beagley nor her husband showed any emotion when the six-person jury announced its decision on Tuesday. The couple walked quickly from the courtroom and down a set of stairs without responding to questions from reporters.

Jessica Beagley could face the maximum sentence of one year in jail, a $10,000 fine and up to 10 years of probation when she is sentenced Monday, said District Judge David Wallace. She remains free without bail because the case is a misdemeanor.

FULL ARTICLE

by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
USAFamily
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Here's the video-- it's hard for me to watch :( 

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:37 AM
I'm mobile so can't see the video. She should be punished but to what extent I'm unsure. What a horrid woman!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristin42010
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:43 AM
I think what is so bad is that they think she just did it to be on television. Poor kid!! Not to mention he is adoptive. Seriously you take that kid to protect him. Not make him miserable. I'm the first to say the punishment should fit the crime(in the kids case) seriously my mom just washed my mouth out with soap for that. It didn't hurt me tasted like crap though. Hot sauce can burn his little taste buds and hurt his insides. Plus a cold shower? Really!! Crazy women needs her kids taken away. I wonder if her husband who works in law enforcement knows.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maddies_mom101
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:45 AM

seems like she would have done anything to get herself on the Dr. Phil show. I don't remember exactly how many other children she had but  I know there was a few  does she not realize that lying is something kids do, is it right no, but its something they do  and as a mom you should know that.

I think she set herself up  for all that has happen to her

Maddies_mom101
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:48 AM

why was the child not in therapy before this...... its not like this was his only incident and from the discription of his life before living with her  it doesn't surprise me that he has RAD

USAFamily
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Exactly! And you discuss the proper way to handle it, and try to figure out why the child feels the need to lie. This kid clearly was trying to lie because he was afraid of his 'mom' (I use the term loosely).

I personally think this lady is a monster, and should serve time and get the fine. She also should NEVER be allowed to adopt another child.

Quoting Maddies_mom101:

seems like she would have done anything to get herself on the Dr. Phil show. I don't remember exactly how many other children she had but  I know there was a few  does she not realize that lying is something kids do, is it right no, but its something they do  and as a mom you should know that.

I think she set herself up  for all that has happen to her

LindaClement
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Excellent. I hope they go for the high end of the maximum...

splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM
I can't see the video, but I have heard bits and pieces about this on CM. So sad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peanutx3
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Good.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 24, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I saw that a while ago. That woman is awful. She deserves to sit in jail.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)