Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I'm lovin' it!

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 11:05 AM
  • 8 Replies
Thanks to goddess99 for the post about Netflix. Landon is currently watching a leapfrog cartoon about the alphabet. Here's hoping it finally 'clicks' for him... He's enjoying the cartoon. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Peanutx3
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Yay!  How old is Landon?

Maddies_mom101
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM

:)

splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM
I have seen the dvds at the library. Is it worth checking out?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 11:47 AM
Landon is 4, will be 5 this Christmas. *I* think it'd be worth it, if only to introduce the letters. I can give him a work sheet, explain that he needs to trace the letter and even show him...come back and he has no clue as what hed to do or what letter it even is. He can count to 6 and even do a little math but when it comes to the alphabet he's at a loss. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM

That is a bit early, for lots of kids.

I've known kids who seemed to be in tune with letters and writing, who were reading my Landon's age... and others who were busy learning and exploring other parts of the world.

When he's ready, it will come easily. Until then, it's just boring or confusing. You can't rush brain development. Until he's ready (and for a couple of decades after, frankly) what's really important is your continued happy and relaxed connection with him.

Quoting jltplk25:

Landon is 4, will be 5 this Christmas. *I* think it'd be worth it, if only to introduce the letters. I can give him a work sheet, explain that he needs to trace the letter and even show him...come back and he has no clue as what hed to do or what letter it even is. He can count to 6 and even do a little math but when it comes to the alphabet he's at a loss. Lol

Peanutx3
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 12:19 PM

My youngest dd will be 5 in September.  Just a few months ago she couldn't say the alphabet without skipping a few letters.  Now she says it perfectly.  They will pick up learning letters and numbers when they are ready.  Remember that kids learn in different ways.  So a worksheet may have worked for one child but it doesn't mean it will work for another child. 

I see no harm in watching the leapfrog shows, I bet your child will pick up lots of information from them.

Quoting jltplk25:

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 1:04 PM
I'm in no real rush. He is very smart and knows quite a bit about dinosaurs, animals, movies, etc. I guess in a way I felt like I was failing him bc he can name movies but not the alphabet. Lol. It's easy to let other parents make you feel like a horrible parent. I know better, honestly I do. ;)

Quoting LindaClement:

That is a bit early, for lots of kids.

I've known kids who seemed to be in tune with letters and writing, who were reading my Landon's age... and others who were busy learning and exploring other parts of the world.

When he's ready, it will come easily. Until then, it's just boring or confusing. You can't rush brain development. Until he's ready (and for a couple of decades after, frankly) what's really important is your continued happy and relaxed connection with him.

Quoting jltplk25:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Yay!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)