Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumpkin for dogs.. it is good for them!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 5:06 AM
  • 7 Replies

Health Benefits of Pumpkins for Dogs!

I live in the pumpkin capital of the country, Half Moon Bay, CA. and have always lived here with dogs. So I was surprised that it wasn’t until last month that I started reading about all of the health benefits of pumpkins for dogs. First I read on our Facebook page for Through a Dog’s Ear that pumpkin can help their digestive system (assuming they don’t eat a 1,535 lb. pumpkin in one sitting.) I checked the ingredients in Sanchez’s Great Life kibble and discovered that pumpkin is the fourth ingredient listed, even before squash, carrots, and papaya. Then I read a blog about the health benefits of pumpkins for dogs by Edie Jarolim, the author of Am I Boring My Dog? (a book I’d highly recommend for it’s educational value on all things dog combined with humor that will leave you in stitches). Her blog included fabulous advice from Veterinarians Laci and Jed Schaible about the health benefits of feeding pumpkin to dogs. Laci and Jed are co-founders of VetLive.com, a 24/7 service that affordably provides pet owners the inside info they need to effectively navigate the consumer side of the vet industry.

While Halloween is over, pumpkins are still plentiful and it’s not too late to stock up on canned pumpkins (without added sugar) for your pooches. While you should consult your veterinarian if any of these issues are persistent, read on for some tips from Veterinarians Laci and Jed Schaible that I learned when reading Edie’s interview with them.

Next: 4 surprising health benefits, plus dog treat recipe

by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 5:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lovinangels
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I did know this. I cook for my dog all the time!

splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 25, 2011 at 11:42 AM
That picture made me squeal a little lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 25, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I'll have to remember that :)

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Aug. 25, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I wonder if the article mentions whether or not it gives the dogs gas.

usmclife58
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Interesting

TruthSeeker.
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I bet my dog would love this!

Maddies_mom101
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I know my  mom would give it to my parents dog before

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)