Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What manners?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 3:07 PM
  • 7 Replies

Which manners do you want to instill in your kids?

Should they address adults as Ms/Mr?

Are please, thank you, your welcome mandatory? Or excuse me?

What else? What do you think of kids that don't have good manners?

by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Dani_Lynn
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Please, thank you and excuse me are mandatory.  I expect them not to be rude.  Although the Mr/Ms. thing seems to be more of a southern thing.

mrsnoble2004
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 3:13 PM

The standard "please, thank you, you're welcome" Excuse me still needs a lot of work. Wait your turn to talk.

Other than that one of my biggest pet peeves is parents that let their children tell them to "shut up and leave me alone". It was actually a discussion  a teacher was having with my oldest yesterday and dd was straight up with her. "I'm not allowed to tell Mom to shut up." She said it kind of threw the teacher for a loop, "maybe I should have taught my kids that."

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM
Table manners are a MUST. So is nit being rude so they will learn please, thank you, excuse me, etc. As for mister/miss thing, it will be taught but not enforced. We may be southern but where we are at, peoe look at you as if youve got 3 eyes when addressed formally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USAFamily
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM

I'm from the North West and my  children address adults as Ms Sue, or Mr John. I just think it sets them up for proper etiquette in the future.

Please, thank you ect are absolutely mandatory. If they don't use those terms, they are not given what ever it is they want.

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

Please, thank you and excuse me are mandatory.  I expect them not to be rude.  Although the Mr/Ms. thing seems to be more of a southern thing.

USAFamily
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Not interrupting is a HUGE work in progress in my house! I grew up in a house where children really were meant to be seen and not heard. So my kids acting differently makes me insane!

Quoting mrsnoble2004:

The standard "please, thank you, you're welcome" Excuse me still needs a lot of work. Wait your turn to talk.

Other than that one of my biggest pet peeves is parents that let their children tell them to "shut up and leave me alone". It was actually a discussion  a teacher was having with my oldest yesterday and dd was straight up with her. "I'm not allowed to tell Mom to shut up." She said it kind of threw the teacher for a loop, "maybe I should have taught my kids that."

LOswald0314
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM
This.

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 26, 2011 at 3:44 PM

My dd says please and thank you but I feel like I'm raising a lawyer and she has been like this for years. She loves to argue lol. If given the chance she will argue anyone into the ground. But you can see it in her face that she's trying to do it in the nicest possible way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN