Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Childcare costs more than college?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 8:08 AM
  • 8 Replies

College may seem like a relative bargain to some families after they see a new study by the National Association of Child Care Resource & Referral Agencies (NACCRRA) that says early child care can cost more.

The study found that in 36 states and the District of Columbia, one year of infant day care in a center is more expensive than a year of public college.

Overall, the NACCRRA study showed that Mississippi has the cheapest average annual rates for infant day care in a center at $4,650 per year. The most expensive is Washington, DC, where parents shell out $18,200 a year on average.

Parents are feeling the pinch. Gary Walker has had two sons in a day care center and laments the high cost.

“In our budget, it's the second highest line item if you will, second only to our mortgage,” he said. “An astounding amount of money goes out to just caring for our children every month.”

Day care centers too are trying to stay afloat in a difficult economy. Those who run the facilities say their food and labor costs are going up, and they are trying to keep their clients onboard despite rate increases.

“When we have a family where a parent loses a job, or where they have to either pull their children out or cut back on care, the first thing that we try to do is somehow make something work and affordable for them,” said Kae Bieber, director of Common Ground Child Care in Reston, Va.

Study organizers say the cost of child care has gone up 1.9 percent over the past year, and families are having to get creative.

“We're seeing more cases where families are trying to split the childcare by going to one parent working during the day and one working nights,” said Linda Smith with NACCRRA.

Smith says other trends include parents enlisting the help of grandparents and other relatives to defray childcare costs, neighbors or friends pooling their resources in less formal, less expensive child care options and parents having to dip into their savings.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/30/child-care-cost-skyrockets-costs-more-than-college-in-some-states/#ixzz1WbjdiwSs

by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
thenguyenclan
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 11:49 AM

im not surprised that the D.C. area is the highest.......i live near D.C. and cant afford to put one child in daycare let alone 3 :-( 

Andeigh
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Since I'm going to college, and just put 2 boys in daycare, I can attest that this article is true.  If I had the boys in daycare all day everyday it would be 400 bucks a week, but sicne they go part time it's more like 70-100 dollars a week.  My college is 100 dollars a credit, and I took 6 credits this semester, and plus books, it's like 1000 this semester.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 31, 2011 at 1:57 PM

that is crazy. so glad I'm a sahm.

armywife1229
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Yup, I can't believe how much more it is here than in Germany. Ugh.

Quoting thenguyenclan:

im not surprised that the D.C. area is the highest.......i live near D.C. and cant afford to put one child in daycare let alone 3 :-( 

thenguyenclan
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Quoting armywife1229:

Yup, I can't believe how much more it is here than in Germany. Ugh.

Quoting thenguyenclan:

it sucks :-( 

Pammi86
by Pamela on Sep. 3, 2011 at 12:57 AM

so glad my mom babysits!

armywife1229
by on Sep. 3, 2011 at 8:09 AM

I'm glad we dont't have to worry about a bunch of college educations. One is covered already and we're saving for the second one now.

mom2ljh
by on Sep. 3, 2011 at 8:15 AM
I'm glad I have my mom I can count on to watch my son when need be. I stopped working because of the cost of childcare. Now he's in preschool which is only $185/month for four three hour days a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)