Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

5 'Unique' bathrooms

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM
  • 10 Replies

Safe House

Location /// Milwaukee, WI

Background: This spy-themed restaurant involves passwords, hidden rooms and disappearing ink—and the theme continues on into its bathroom. To enter, users must navigate through a series of complicated mazes and avoid a trick door.

Why It's Unique: "The bathrooms in restaurants are statement pieces," Balis says. Ever since Safe House opened in 1966, it has been using every aspect of the restaurant under its control to advance the secret-agent atmosphere. The harrowing journey to the bathroom serves as another adventurous addition, at least to those willing to endure a 15-minute sojourn from table to toilet

World's Largest Restroom

Location /// Chongqing, China

Background: With 1000 toilets, 32,290 square feet, and four stories, this bathroom is the largest in the world.

Why It's Unique: Located on Yangrenjie ("Foreigners Street"), China hopes that its colossal Egyptian-themed restroom will bring tourism to the city. Aside from its enormous size, the bathroom also features calm music, TVs and interestingly shaped urinals. Lu Xiaoqing, a tourism official, expects the bathrooms to be a hit among visitors: "After they use the bathroom they will be very, very happy."

Vertebrae Vertical Bathroom

Location /// Various

Background: Occupying a mere 4.3 square feet, this "Swiss Army Knife Bathroom" takes space conservation to a whole new level, packing a toilet, sink, cistern, two storage units and two shower heads into one compact system.

Why It's Unique: Named for its resemblance to the spinal cord, the bathroom's modules all connect to a central axis. Everything feeds from the top of the structure, which attaches to the ceiling. Users have the option of directing the waste pipes downward through a hole in the floor, or into the wall through a hole at the back of the toilet. To enable shower drainage, the Vertebrae must be installed in a sealed wet room with adequate slope to the floor, according to the brochure. "Real estate is priceless in the bathroom," says Judith Balis, an interior designer with experience constructing restrooms.

Space Bathroom

Location /// International Space Station

Background: With no gravity to ensure that water stays in the toilet bowl or to force waste down, NASA was forced to build pumps and harness airflow to create an effective and hygienic bathroom for astronauts.

Why It's Unique: Because the entire system relies on air, creating a tight seal between the user and the toilet bowl is essential. Foot straps and pivoting bars anchor the astronauts to the ground, and an intricate network of tubes, pipes and ducts handles the waste. Far removed from water treatment plants, the ISS must treat waste on its own and actually converts a large percentage into potable water. A hose-suction option is also available in lieu of the main toilet bowl.

Bulletproof Bathroom

Location /// Beijing, China

Background: The 15-ton, $100,000 public bathroom in Zhong GuanVillage Plaza may be the safest in the world.

Why It's Unique: Immune even to TNT explosives detonated from within, this bunker of a bathroom is part of a string of anti-terrorism products debuted in China after 9/11. For the Chinese, the bathroom isn't much of a draw. Originally, usage instructions posted outside were in only English and French, but even after adding a Chinese translation in 2006, the toilet remains unpopular.

Click on me to see what it's all about!

by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2011 at 10:39 AM

There are actually 18 in the list but b/c I had to save the picture and then copy the tid bit of information I only did the first five. If you are interested in seeing the other ones, here's the link to the article. :)

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Interesting.. I love bathroom designs lol.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I came across this while searching cosmo magazine's website trying to find an article. Lol

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I hate to admit but I have seen several of those before when I watched a show about unique bathroom designs lol. I'm that much of a bathroom geek.

LovelyLauren55
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I wanna see the first one, that sounds really fun, I just hope I don't REALLY have to go before trying to enter ! LOL

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:25 AM

That would suck wouldn't it, especailly if you had diarrhea! Eck.

Goddess- I love design too so I'd probably watch a show about bathroom designs. Lol

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM
Haha.. That was exactly my thought!

Quoting LovelyLauren55:

I wanna see the first one, that sounds really fun, I just hope I don't REALLY have to go before trying to enter ! LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Sep. 5, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Interesting lol! I love decorating bathrooms! So many fun ideas! We are doing sea creatures for our new apartment! : )

twinners.mama
by Member on Sep. 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM
It's really not that bad haha..it's a fun one to take the kids to!!

Quoting splatz:

Haha.. That was exactly my thought!

Quoting LovelyLauren55:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Sep. 6, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Interesting

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)