Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

So my mother got my ears pierced at 3 months! My dd is almost 4 months and has had her first 2 rounds of shots. The pedi said it was ok so I took her to The Icing in the mall and got them pierced on Friday! Now my dh actually suggested it bc she is a girl and we think its cute, plus its easier to do em now and get her use to them! They uses a brand new gun, gloves, ear rings, and etc so all was clean. She cried a lil but has been fine since, no swelling or redness at all! When I clean em and turn em she just smiles at me! Well, I know everyone has their own opinion and thats fine but my friends loser bf commented on my fb that I am a horrible mother and my child is going to get a infection. WTH!?!? What a a**hole! He works at a bread store slicing bagels for crying out loud and has no children. Even worse my friend says she sees his point, yet her kid got fleas bc they are dirty! I have no problem with opinions but feel like he took it too far by going on a rampage on my fb wall! Any opinions on this topic!?

by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 9:22 PM
Replies (11-17):
Starleet
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 7:54 AM

My daughter got hers when she was almost 5 months old. Our doctor told us it was the best time to get them done because she has had her shots and at her age she will not mess with them and that he knows the parents will take care of them so they will not get infected.

armywife1229
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 7:59 AM

I'm not doing it until she's old enough to make a choice on her own. But as long as you take care of them until she can, I see no problem with it.

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 6, 2011 at 8:28 AM
Your child your choice.

We however are not piercing dd's ears until she is old enough to decide that for herself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyLauren55
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Meh, dont worry about other people, I got my DD's done at 4mths too, she barely even peeped.....I bet she looks ADORABLE! :)

mom2camy
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 9:46 AM
I would never tell another parent what they should or should not do with their child. For me personally I would never decide to have my daughter's ears pierced until she herself comes to me and asks. I just don't understand the point of putting them through that and risking possible infection when it is unnecessary and purely for cosmetic reasons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM
Mine were done when I was 6 months. No issues. DD1 was 5 when she got hers done. DD2 is 3 and still doesn't have hers done. When we do get hers done though we will not be going the traditional route of a store with ear piercing guns...those are actually pretty painful and can be damaging. My body piercer is going to do it instead the same way she does body piercing, a cork and a needle. Much better for their little ears since you aren't smashing their little ear lobes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USAFamily
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Honestly, because I did it both ways (that's what she said) I can say it was easiest for us this way. When she was old enough, she realized it would hurt, it was her responsibility to care for them, and it has worked out well!

Quoting mom2camy:

I would never tell another parent what they should or should not do with their child. For me personally I would never decide to have my daughter's ears pierced until she herself comes to me and asks. I just don't understand the point of putting them through that and risking possible infection when it is unnecessary and purely for cosmetic reasons.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)