Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

TV: The best parenting invention ever? (sfts)

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 9:50 AM
  • 10 Replies

10 Reasons TV Is the Best Parenting Invention Ever

Posted by Jill Smokler
on September 5, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Television may be my favorite parenting invention ever.

Now, don't all go freaking out on me -- I'm not saying my kids are glued to it 24/7. Not even close. But, for the hour or so a day when they are? It's dreamy. I can actually shower in peace. Take a phone call and be able to hear the person on the other end. Sit and enjoy a cup of coffee. All thanks to that mesmerizing little black box. Need more reason to love TV?

Read on ...

1. You don't have to pay it by the hour. Sitters add up fast, but the TV is free! (Well, aside from your cable bill.)

2. It has the power to save long car rides. I mean, seriously, how did we survive long car rides before?

3. It's educational! No, really. I couldn't figure out where Lily was picking up Spanish when she was two until I made the connection between her pre-nap Nickelodeon show. Gracias, Dora!

4. It bonds kids. When playdates get old or siblings bicker, it's the perfect quiet time break, with them all cuddled together chomping on popcorn.

5. It can be used for bribery. Nothing gets my kids in line like threatening to take away their evening show.

6. It keeps children quiet. A tad glazed, but quiet nonetheless.

7. It keeps children out of trouble. If they're glued to the TV, they aren't scaling kitchen counters or rummaging through the pantry.

8. It makes them happy. No matter how much the Wiggles may creep me out, if they make my kid laugh, that's enough for me.

9. It's always available. Aside from power outages, of course.

10. It allows you to use the bathroom alone. Priceless.

Do you agree??

by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovelyLauren55
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I do agree, how ever I think too much tv is bleck! Kids also need to learn to love books and other educational devices! IMO one of the best is the Tag Reader by Leapfrog, and basically anything by them, my DD LOVES them!

USAFamily
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I think technology is shoved in our kids faces WAY too much. But, I do love being able to put on sesame street and do some laundry or dishes while my kid is engrossed!

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Not really. Yeah sure it's great when you need to get some stuff done around the house but like everything in else in life, it's fine in moderation. Parents too often use it as a babysitter so they don't have to engage with their kids.

USAFamily
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Oh, and we drove 23 hours to Kentucky last month. I would have never survived My kids would have never survived without the portable dvd player.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I agree. My four year old is so used to  having gadgets that he'll actually come up to me and ask what he should do.

Quoting USAFamily:

I think technology is shoved in our kids faces WAY too much. But, I do love being able to put on sesame street and do some laundry or dishes while my kid is engrossed!

Click on me to see what it's all about!

USAFamily
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I have been very anti-gaming systems until recently. We just got a Wii last month, and my daughter (who turns 6 in a couple weeks) doesn't really know how to handle it and her friends are pros. She will catch up to them. But I am so much more prooud of the fact that she can read, then play mario kart.

Quoting jltplk25:

I agree. My four year old is so used to  having gadgets that he'll actually come up to me and ask what he should do.

Quoting USAFamily:

LovelyLauren55
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I totally agree here!

Quoting jltplk25:

Not really. Yeah sure it's great when you need to get some stuff done around the house but like everything in else in life, it's fine in moderation. Parents too often use it as a babysitter so they don't have to engage with their kids.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

LovelyLauren55
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 10:09 AM

VERY good point!!! 

Quoting USAFamily:

I have been very anti-gaming systems until recently. We just got a Wii last month, and my daughter (who turns 6 in a couple weeks) doesn't really know how to handle it and her friends are pros. She will catch up to them. But I am so much more prooud of the fact that she can read, then play mario kart.

Quoting jltplk25:

Quoting USAFamily:

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

USAFamily
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Thanks! I've just encouraged non-technological learning before all the technology. I feel like they will get al the gidgets and gadgets in the real world, at home they can have a book!

Quoting LovelyLauren55:

VERY good point!!! 

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Um I'm on both sides. I see the plus side of tv but I have experienced the bad side too. My dd has a sensory issue when it comes to the tv. The lights that are emitted from the tv makes her go bonkers. So she is limited (during school days) to 1 hour a day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)