Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Food Stamps at Fast Food restaurants? (sfag)

Posted by   + Show Post

This may have already been discussed but, I just saw on the news this morning that fast food chains (KFC, McDonald's, and a few others) are trying to get the government to allow Food Stamp benefits to be used at their restaurants. A few states already allow this.

How do you feel about your tax money being used to help people eat out at fast food restaurants?

M2mMelissa

by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Sep. 6, 2011 at 2:01 PM

If it's the only way they can get a hot meal great. Otherwise I'd be a little put out that someone on food stamps gets to eat out more than I do.

xRockaBrittanyx
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I don't know how it'll be very possible, since there are rules on food stamps stating that you cannot buy hot foods with them. So what, people on the food stamps will be able to get Subway? Ooooooh noooozzzzz, the fatness!!!

:|

armywife1229
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Well, of course the fast food industry would want this, they benefit from it! But, I can't possibly see the benefit in it I mean, you can't even feed a family of 4 for $20 and more at McDonald's. Its unhealthy and a waste of money. I'd rather see them open up commnity cafeterias or something.

momofsixangels
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 8:47 AM

I get fs and I think its a bad idea.I dont want my kids to eat fast food and I think its bad for all kids.Once in awhile is ok but since it would be fast and easy I think people would do it a lot.

LovelyLauren55
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 8:53 AM

I personally think its rediculous, BUT I do think that homeless people should be able to buy hot food from a grocery store...not sure how that would work tho

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM

I dont think it should be allowed. The whole idea behind food stamps and WIC is to help provide NUTRITIOUS food to families, not so they can eat out all the time. Could you imagine the obesity rate should the government allow food stamps to be used in fast food places? How about they offer cooking classes instead?

Leighanne29
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 10:29 AM

If it is only for homeless people like someone else stated, then yes, absolutely.  For others?  No.  That money is better spent at a grocery store where they can get more nutritious offerings and stretch the money farther.

Lynzee.Limon
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 11:43 AM

that's TERRIBLE!

celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Yes, goodness forbid a homeless person get a hot meal every once in a while.

Quoting Lynzee.Limon:

that's TERRIBLE!

celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I agree 100%.  We get fs, and trust me, if they said I could use it on fast food...I would not do it.  My fs dollars have to stretch to feed us the whole month.  I have to watch what we buy.

Quoting Leighanne29:

If it is only for homeless people like someone else stated, then yes, absolutely.  For others?  No.  That money is better spent at a grocery store where they can get more nutritious offerings and stretch the money farther.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)