Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

China Genetically Modifies Cows To Produce Human Breast Milk

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 5:27 PM
  • 7 Replies

Have you heard this story yet?

One of the many things the US and Europe are going to have to confront as they compete with an increasingly powerful China is a different sense of ethics.

Western countries are plowing ahead with things like biotech and genetically modified food, of course, but the developments are still lagging behind what science is capable of.

And the West's food and drug regulators tend to be much stricter, preventing the use of "experimental" treatments that often don't work or kill people but do often lead to future breakthroughs.

China is unencumbered by such concerns. And don't think the country isn't using that to its advantage.

Today's example:

A China dairy farm has genetically modified cows so they produce human breast milk, Sky News reports.

This wouldn't happen in the United States, because it would freak people out (ethicists, animal rights groups, ordinary citizens).

But the Chinese farmers think it's pretty darn cool. And they point out that human breast milk is better for humans than cow milk. And they observe that there are about a billion starving people in the world who would love a ready supply of human breast milk and other such foods.

So the morality picture actually isn't all that clear, either.

http://www.businessinsider.com/china-genetically-modifies-cows-to-produce-human-breast-milk-2011-6

What do you think?

by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 7, 2011 at 6:38 PM

I think it's gross. but I don't drink any type of milk anyway.

USAFamily
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Uh, color me stupid...but if it's not from a human, how is it 'human' breast milk?

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Sep. 7, 2011 at 10:47 PM

exactly

Quoting USAFamily:

Uh, color me stupid...but if it's not from a human, how is it 'human' breast milk?

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 7, 2011 at 10:49 PM
Hmmm...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ludvik_Smith
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 10:32 AM

"The milk produced by the transgenic cows is identical to the human variety, with the same immune-boosting and antibacterial qualities as breast milk..."

The transgenic herd of 300 was bred by inserting human genes into cloned cow embryos which were then implanted into surrogate cows..."

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-tech/chinese-scientists-genetically-modify-dairy-cows-to-produce-human-breast-milk/story-fn5fsgyc-1226071579075

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Sep. 8, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Gross

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Wow that is...different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)