Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Netflix is at it again

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 11:59 AM
  • 11 Replies

Netflix has started to restrict its users from streaming more than one movie at a time as part of its price hike. The change could have a major effect on how families use Netflix. No longer can one person watch a movie from the iPad while the rest of the family watches another film on the Xbox, for example. As website Stop the Cap points out, Netflix has always had a policy that limited streaming, with those on a single DVD or streaming-only plan limited to streaming one film at a time. But it appears as if Netflix just started enforcing this rule on September 1. The changes seem to coincide with Netflix's price hike, which took effect on Sept. 1 as well. Now, if you attempt to launch two movie streams, Netflix will block it and tell you that your membership plan doesn't support multiple movie streams. We received the error message in our tests, confirming other reports. However, we also learned that television shows seem to be exempt from the movie streaming rules. For example, we were able to stream a movie and a TV show simultaneously, but unable to stream two movies at the same time. The move is sure to upset some customers as Netflix continues to deal with a number of setbacks. Its talks with Starz recently broke down and customers are not happy with the recent price hikes. Netflix's revenues are at record highs, but without Starz, it loses some of its best content. It's unclear how customers will react to this latest change.

by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 8, 2011 at 12:00 PM

How do you feel about this?

I have a feeling we will be cancelling soon.

mom2ljh
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 12:02 PM
Yeah, I'm beginning to hate netflix.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Oh great. We've only had Netflix for what, a month now? I enjoyed it at first but the options for streaming are greatly limited for adults. Now for my kids, Landon is at least in heaven. He can watch all the Phineas and Ferb, Backyardigans, and Veggie Tales he wants w/o commercials. *he's limited by ME as to how much tv he actually gets to watch though. Lol.

I wonder how much of a hike it's going to be... Im afraid we're going to regret getting rid of satellite. :(

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM

The price hike I believes refers to the price adjustment they did already. It's if you get dvds too.

lovinangels
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM

According to engadget yesterday, this is a company wide error that they are working on, as long as you are only trying to stream to two devices at once. More than two is blocked under the cheapest plan.

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 8, 2011 at 12:55 PM
We only do dvds in the mail. But, netflix is surely pissing off a lot of people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miss-B
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM
Wow, I was just about to get it for streaming. I may not now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Sep. 8, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I don't use Netflix

Leighanne29
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I love netflix.  I only do the instant shows, and my toddler can watch his faves over and over and over.  Even with the price hike, it still works for us.

USAFamily
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Luckily we only have one tv and really only stream on one device at a time -but it is annoying, and I am unhappy with them since the price hike as it is....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)